nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB800 over-exposing grossly

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
4240 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 21-Oct-13 05:24 PM | edited Mon 21-Oct-13 05:24 PM by Ferguson

The other night shooting zombies (ok, that's another story) everything up close started coming out grossly over-exposed. I tried everything I could think up, and ended up lowering the ISO way down (it was night but I wanted some ambient), and then put on a diffuser, and then found I needed to stand back a bit. I tried it on a different camera, same results, so not camera settings.

I tried TTL and TTL-BL both, no difference.

So now that I'm home and have a second speedlight, I tried it, and it worked as expected. Shots taken anywhere close are horribly over-exposed. I THINK it is shooting at full power.

Examples are below. Control panel shots are also included -- I can't see that I have any setting different. Is there ANY setting of substance that I may be missing. Remember -- same camera, same scene, same settings on the camera, just swapped flash.

There is a tiny bit more to this story. The night before I shot a basketball party and dropped the flash about 3-4 feet. I was putting it (I thought) onto the padded goal mechanism over my head while sitting under the goal, and apparently there's a small hole in the corner that leads to the floor. It feel, no visible damage. And it "worked" afterwards, meaning it flashed.

The problem with that theory is I took quite a few shots at sunset where the flash was fill. But several were close enough I would expect it to wash out at this power (I went back and checked distance, ISO, etc.). So I THINK it worked and hour or so correctly before it went nuts -- right about at dark, though, when I started relying on it for primary light not fill.

Anyway...

Other than "it's broken", anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever tear one apart, are there components that are accessible, might it be worth looking for something shaken loose?

Or on the other side, any point sending them to Nikon? Do they repair them, anyone had one repaired? I suspect other than cosmetics (which are fine), there's likely one electronics card inside - expensive?

Or just go buy a SB910 to replace it? I love my SB800's, but they are pretty old.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB800 over-exposing grossly
Reply message Nikon Repair
Reply message RE: Nikon Repair
     Reply message RE: Nikon Repair

G