Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62213
View in linear mode

Subject: "Basic technique for bounce-flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Wed 25-Sep-13 11:05 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Basic technique for bounce-flash"

Bicester, GB

Hi

I'm finding that I tend to use bounce-flash a lot. I point the flash at the ceiling, probably slightly angled rather than straight up. I rely on the bounced light to illuminate the subject.

The question is should I be using the wide-angle diffuser that comes attached to my SB-910 when I'm doing this? My understanding is that the diffuser is for wide-angle shots, not specifically for use in bounce flash, but that some people recommend using it when bouncing light off the ceiling.

Can anyone advise me?

thanks

--Justin Wyllie

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash
bens0472 Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
Luke_Miller Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
shaynec Silver Member
07th Jan 2014
Luke_Miller Silver Member
07th Jan 2014
shaynec Silver Member
07th Jan 2014
dboys Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
Drbee Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
Ineluki Gold Member
07th Jan 2014

bens0472 Silver Member Charter MemberWed 25-Sep-13 06:50 PM
818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Hi Justin,

I think the best advice is to test the results you get using the wide angle diffuser and the results you get not using it. In general, if you're aiming your flash into the ceiling, the larger you make the reflection off the ceiling, the more diffused/soft the light will appear on your subject. So, spreading the light out with the wide angle diffuser will achieve this.

The downside, of course, is that the more you diffuse the light from your flash, the harder it must work to properly expose your subject. So, as flash diffusion increases, the output required for proper exposure also increases.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ben

Ben

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 25-Sep-13 06:55 PM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Norcross, US

And its just not the ceiling. You can bounce the light out of the corners of a room as well for a different look. Watch out for colors on the surfaces you are bouncing off of.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Sun 05-Jan-14 12:38 PM
1427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Rural Virginia, US

>Hi Justin,
>
>I think the best advice is to test the results you get using
>the wide angle diffuser and the results you get not using it.
>In general, if you're aiming your flash into the ceiling, the
>larger you make the reflection off the ceiling, the more
>diffused/soft the light will appear on your subject. So,
>spreading the light out with the wide angle diffuser will
>achieve this.
>
>The downside, of course, is that the more you diffuse the
>light from your flash, the harder it must work to properly
>expose your subject. So, as flash diffusion increases, the
>output required for proper exposure also increases.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Cheers,
>Ben

I think this is an excellent synopsis and duplicates my experience. The more ceiling area illuminated by the flash the softer the light on the subject and the more of the background receiving illumination. The downside is the flash power required which sucks batteries and slows recycle times.

I recently shot a wedding reception in a hall with 24 foot ceilings using flash bounced off the ceiling. I mounted a very powerful unit (300 watt seconds) on my flash bracket and attached the wide angle diffuser. It took a little less than half power to get proper exposure at ISO 400 and f5.6. The quality of light was really nice and I was able to put light on much of the room so that the background was not dark like direct flash would have been. I got the flash specifically for this shoot and it did not disappoint.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

shaynec Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2009Tue 07-Jan-14 01:10 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Ben, Can you tell me what light you used at your wedding reception? shayne

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Tue 07-Jan-14 12:56 PM
1427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 6

Rural Virginia, US

Shayne

I used a Cheetah Light CL-360

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

shaynec Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2009Tue 07-Jan-14 01:54 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks Luke, I took some pictures at a reception in a large tent and realized I need to expand my horizons. shayne

dboys Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2014Sun 05-Jan-14 12:10 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Hope, US

The expert on this is Neil van Niekirk, http://neilvn.com/tangents/. His book On-Camera flash explains how to do exactly what you want. The camera is set to Manual exposure, the on-camera flash is set to TTL. His blog is your starting point.

Don

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sun 05-Jan-14 06:04 PM
5661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I'll double Don's comments. I used Neil's book to open up a whole new world of on-camera strobe photography for me. I now use his techniques of on-camera, flagged and bounced strobes nearly every time I use a strobe.

I rarely point a strobe in the direction of my subject anymore.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Tue 07-Jan-14 01:00 PM
2443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Basic technique for bounce-flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

Sometimes I use my SB 910 with the wide-angle diffuser to get more light in the picture. I had used it from wide-angle to 200mm and it was always bounced flash.

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62213 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.