Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62190
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual flash off-camera" Previous topic | Next topic
bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Mon 23-Sep-13 02:03 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Manual flash off-camera"
Tue 24-Sep-13 02:35 PM by bluefeather505

Albuquerque, US

Hi folks,
Would someone tell me, if I set my off camera SB910 to manual,using the D7100's flash as a commander, does the camera still control the flash power and other settings on the SB910?
Or would I set the flash power and zoom settings on the flash?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Manual flash off-camera
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Sep 2013
bluefeather505
24th Sep 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Sep 2013
bluefeather505
25th Sep 2013
RABaker
25th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
25th Sep 2013
bluefeather505
25th Sep 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 24-Sep-13 12:05 AM
8059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Hi Mike,

The camera will control the flash power in the menu, see page 247 of your manual. Zoom settings in auto mode zoom the flash wide when not on a camera. That makes sense, in that it give you greatest coverage and easier to use when setting up. That being said, you can place the flash in manual zoom and set it to your liking.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Tue 24-Sep-13 02:30 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

Thanks Scott,
I am starting to use manual flash setting more.
I am finding that once I get the setup right I can cosistantly get the skin tone and texture that I like to see.
Thanks again for your response,
Mike

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 24-Sep-13 04:12 PM
8059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

Nice shot Mike. I agree, manual control yields consistently better shots.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Wed 25-Sep-13 01:05 AM
#4. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 3

Albuquerque, US

So I set the camera up just now and did a little experimenting.
I noticed that if I mount the SB910 directly on the D7100's hot shoe and use it as an on-camera flash (manual camera and manual flash), the flash is not controlled by the e3 Bracketing Flash menu. If I set the menu to 1/2 power and the SB910 is set to 1/8 power, it will expose the shot at 1/8 power.
I went through some drastic changes, 1/1 to 1/128, just to verify this.
Now, on the other hand, if I set the flash up off-camera and use the e3 menu to set up commander mode ( and set the flash to slave), the flash shoots at the power level set in the menu. If you set the menu at 1/4 the flash will shoot at 1/4, even if the flash had been set to a different level.
This info is probably in the manual somewhere but I had never really noticed it until now. I had always just set the SB910 at the power I wanted to work at and left it there.
All this just for general info.
Thanks,
Mike

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Wed 25-Sep-13 06:10 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 4

Sunnyvale, US

"I noticed that if I mount the SB910 directly on the D7100's hot shoe and use it as an on-camera flash (manual camera and manual flash), the flash is not controlled by the e3 Bracketing Flash menu. If I set the menu to 1/2 power and the SB910 is set to 1/8 power, it will expose the shot at 1/8 power."

Mike,

This is because menu item e3 control for external speedlights works through signals sent by the built-in flash to the remote flash. Since the built-in flash is not deployed when you have a flash in the hotshoe, there can be no control from the built-in flash. At least, that is how I think it works...

Good luck,
Richard

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 25-Sep-13 11:24 PM
25725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Mike,

The Flash Commander menu in the camera only applies when using the built-in Speedlight as Commander.

The SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, and SB-910 have their own Commander menu built into the Speedlight. When using a Speedlight in your cameras hotshoe you must use the menu in the Speedlight to adjust the flash mode and settings.

Best Regards,
Marty

bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Wed 25-Sep-13 11:57 PM
#7. "RE: Manual flash off-camera"
In response to Reply # 6

Albuquerque, US

Thanks Marty and Richard.
That clears it up for me.
Too bad though, it is a lot handier to adjust the camera menu.
Cheers,
Mike

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62190 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.