Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62189
View in linear mode

Subject: "Youngnuo YN-D622N" Previous topic | Next topic
pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Sun 22-Sep-13 10:52 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Youngnuo YN-D622N"
Sun 22-Sep-13 10:52 PM by pjr

Manotick, CA

I have four of these, and work well in getting the flashes to fire from my D600. However, using the SU-800 on top on the transceiver that is on top of the camera, I can't vary the flashes output. Everything is in manual mode. I've also tried with just the tranceiver on top of the camera, and with an SB900 on top of the transceiver on top of the camera.

I've read and re-read the manuals, triple checked everything, and watched tutorials and read vids on line.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N
DavidN4 Silver Member
24th Sep 2013
bluefeather505
12th Oct 2013
Beachthongs
12th Oct 2013
DavidN4 Silver Member
13th Oct 2013
bluefeather505
14th Oct 2013
DavidN4 Silver Member
15th Oct 2013

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Tue 24-Sep-13 07:17 PM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

I have the same setup, and it works fine for me. You have to leave the flashes in TTL mode, and let the SU-800 control the flashes. The 622N's are just the translators.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Sat 12-Oct-13 04:39 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

So, if you are just using a single speedlight with one yongnuo on the camera hot shoe and the other on your speedlight, how do you set your menu? Do you set it on TTL or do you set it in commander mode with your light on TTL group A?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Sat 12-Oct-13 05:45 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

I believe Yongnuo will be releasing a SU-800 style wireless commander soon. This will make controlling your speedlites a breeze.

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Sun 13-Oct-13 11:18 PM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N"
In response to Reply # 2

Johns Creek, US

>So, if you are just using a single speedlight with one
>yongnuo on the camera hot shoe and the other on your
>speedlight, how do you set your menu? Do you set it on TTL or
>do you set it in commander mode with your light on TTL group
>A?
>Thanks in advance.
>Mike
>

If you are using a speedlight on top of a YN-622, that speedlight has to be a Commander if you want to control the remote speedlight from the camera without using the YN-622 as TTL commnader (PITA).

The commander in the camera is a CLS commander, and uses optical signals and does not command through the YN TTL commander - they are separate systems.

Since I don't know what speedlights you are using and you don't have them in your profile, I will have to make some assumptions.

If you have a SB-910/900, use that as the flash that is mounted on the YN-622 that is on the camera. Use it as a commander. Be aware that a SB-800 does not work as commander.

Any of the regular Nikon flashes (SB-910/900/800/700/600) can act as a remote on the receiver YN-622. Leave the flash in TTL mode, do not set it to Remote mode.

All of the channels and groups have to be set on the YN-622's, and the Commander flash should be matched up to the same channel and group.

bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Mon 14-Oct-13 04:07 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N"
In response to Reply # 4

Albuquerque, US

Thanks for your response David,
I have an SB910 and an SB700 speedlight. I really prefer to not have a speedlight on my camera while shooting.
I do a lot of manual flash and only some TTL.
I would like to have control over my flashes from the camera instead of walking ovbe to them and mode and flash power.
Anyhow thanks again for your knowledgeable advice.
PS I really like that Georgia landscape in your gallery.
Mike

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Tue 15-Oct-13 07:41 PM
#6. "RE: Youngnuo YN-D622N"
In response to Reply # 5

Johns Creek, US

You don't have to have a commander on the tramsmitter to command the remote flash. If you want to use the YN-622 as a TTL controller, follow the instructions on this page:
http://www.lightingrumours.com/yongnuo-yn-622n-review-part-2-high-speed-sync-remote-control-mode-4143#comments

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62189 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.