Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62179
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash / Depth of Field" Previous topic | Next topic
Al G Registered since 17th Nov 2012Sun 22-Sep-13 11:56 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash / Depth of Field"

US

In a quest for depth of field, I have been shooting flash (in camera) in manual mode: usually leave at 1/60, apeature about 1.5 stops off maximum and ISO at 400 or 800 as a general setting. Of course, I have to pay attention to the flash indicator that I got a good exposure.

Does anyone have a go to set up for just casual shooting?

Al

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 22-Sep-13 12:47 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash / Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I don't understand your question or what you are trying to accomplish. Effects you might want to achieve with DOF manipulation are very dependent on the subject/situation.

What is your subject? Are you trying to maximize or minimize DOF? Why? Flash may or may not be relevant to the solution.

Visit my gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 22-Sep-13 01:11 PM
28680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash / Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The phrase "maximum aperture" usually refers to the widest opening of the diaphragm (smallest number). Is that what you meant?

If what you want is to increase Depth of Field whilst not having to worry too much about other settings, I would select Aperture priority and an aperture of maybe f/8, and raise the ISO if required.

If you're less worried about DoF, I find Program mode with Auto ISO turned off works quite well for "casual shooting" with the built-in flash if your subject is relatively close. You'll always get better results with a dedicated Speedlight, though.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Al G Registered since 17th Nov 2012Sun 22-Sep-13 05:15 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash / Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I meant that if you do flash photography in Auto / Program mode, the aperature is set to wide open (realize that is the smaller aperture number) and 1/60.

I assume the better mode is to shoot aperture mode, set about 1.5 stops off wide open, and set ISO to 400 or 800. This is what I have been doing as a starting point. I wonder what others do. Of course, then you just need to be sure you do not shoot beyond your flash range.

Al

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 22-Sep-13 09:40 PM
8048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash / Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

That can be a DOF nightmare. When I'm grabbing shots, I like to shoot in A mode at f/5.6. If outdoors in contrasty situations, I will go with P mode and iTTL-BL.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62179 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.