Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62177
View in linear mode

Subject: "Weird meter results" Previous topic | Next topic
Isonychia Registered since 19th Apr 2009Sat 21-Sep-13 01:15 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Weird meter results"

Huntington, WV, US

Is there any reason why a brand-new light meter would give good results under ambient daylight, but recommend readings that yield flash exposures that are two and two-thirds stops overexposed? It's a Sekonic L-478DR, and I'm using it with SB-800s, a D700 and Pocket Wizard TT5s. And yes, I have purchased Sekonic's ridiculously expensive exposure calibration target and did an exposure profile on the D700.

Is there such a thing as getting a light meter "lemon?"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Weird meter results
ScottChapin Moderator
22nd Sep 2013
Indigo586
22nd Sep 2013
Isonychia
22nd Sep 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
22nd Sep 2013
jb335 Silver Member
11th Oct 2013
Isonychia
11th Oct 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 22-Sep-13 12:17 AM
8054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Weird meter results"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

John,

I'm not by my equipment, but here's my guess. You need to set bank C2 for that. It must be set so that it triggers only. If not and your camera is set to the wrong f-stop, the camera will meter and steal the show from the Sekonic.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Indigo586 Registered since 25th Jan 2013Sun 22-Sep-13 01:32 PM
426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Weird meter results"
In response to Reply # 1

US

2 and 2/3 stop overexposure? Sounds like the incident dome is pointing at the subject rather than the camera.

Isonychia Registered since 19th Apr 2009Sun 22-Sep-13 04:34 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Weird meter results"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 22-Sep-13 04:35 PM by Isonychia

Huntington, WV, US

Scott,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had made the mistake of following Joe Brady's and Mike Wallace's online tutorials, which ridiculously oversimplified the instructions for adjusting the transmitting TT5's settings.

Armed with your suggestion that perhaps the camera was stealing the show from the meter, I started searching online, and eventually found a step-by-step tutorial that walked me through the entire process.

For the record, I can't believe the Brady and Wallace videos didn't mention using the Advanced menus to make the adjustments. And Sekonic's instructions were awfully darned confusing. Grrr....

At any rate, all is now well. After I reprogrammed the triggering TT5, I began getting exposures consistent with the meter's readings.

Again, thanks for pointing me the right way.

John

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 22-Sep-13 08:33 PM
8054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Weird meter results"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

John,

I'm glad it got you pointed in the right direction. I haven't circled back lately, but the meter is supposed to meter each group individually and cumulatively. That way you can tweak your ratios. Last I checked, it only takes a cumulative reading. That's not impossible to work with, if you think in terms of power levels and not f-stops.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jb335 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Fri 11-Oct-13 01:11 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Weird meter results"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

John,

Could you supply a link to the step-by-step tutorial that walked you through the process?

Thanks!

Jim

Isonychia Registered since 19th Apr 2009Fri 11-Oct-13 01:23 PM
#6. "RE: Weird meter results"
In response to Reply # 5

Huntington, WV, US

Sure, Jim! Here's the link:

http://blog.craigbennettphotography.com/2013/04/setup-and-using-sekonic-l-478dr.html

I hope it's as helpful to you as it was to me.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62177 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.