Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62174
View in linear mode

Subject: "Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 21-Sep-13 01:52 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware"

Aventura, US

I just received 2 Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs. The box had a label that said to update the firmware. I downloaded the latest pocket wizard utility 1.55 and connected the PWs to my PC (Windows 7) one at a time but the pocket wizards weren't recognized as connected. The computer 'beeped' indicating a new usb connection. Is this normal behavior?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware
MEMcD Moderator
21st Sep 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Sep 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
23rd Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 21-Sep-13 03:08 PM
25669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Steve,

Thinking out loud:
Did you re-start your computer after installing the Pocket Wizard Utility and before you tried to update the firmware?

Also verify that your new Plus III's are the FCC (North American) version.
I had a similar issue with two FlexTT5's before I realized that the retailer inadvertently sent me the CE (Europe)version with European frequencies but I can't remember the specifics.

Best Regards,
Marty

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 22-Sep-13 12:41 AM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Hi Marty,
I just restarted the computer and have the same problem. Yes the PWs are the FCC model. I'm thinking that maybe it means the firmware is up to date. I emailed Pocket Wizard support so they should get back to me next week. Thanks for responding.
- Steve

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 22-Sep-13 05:41 PM
25669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Steve,

The MultiMax Transceivers will display the firmware version when the channel A button is hand held when the power switch is moved from off to either transmit or receive.

I checked the Plus III Wiki Manual on the PW site and didn't see anything regarding firmware version.
Is there anything about checking the current firmware version in the PW Utility or firmware download notes?

Best Regards,
Marty

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 22-Sep-13 06:04 PM
#4. "RE: Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

Hi Marty,
The A button technique didn't work. I guess I will wait to here from support.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 23-Sep-13 09:07 PM
#5. "RE: Couldn't Update Pocket Wizard Plus III firmware"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 23-Sep-13 09:08 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

Pocket Wizard support got back to me. They mentioned a few things to try,-none of which worked. For no apparent reason they mentioned that software for an Olympus voice recorder has caused problems in the past. Yup- I have one! So I installed the PW utility on my laptop (problem was on desktop) and it worked! Problem solved. The firmware was already up to date but now I know how to do it. Thanks for your inputs. - Steve

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62174 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.