nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to Nikon CLS and have questions

davidgoerndt

Orlando, US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davidgoerndt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2012
Thu 19-Sep-13 12:56 PM | edited Thu 19-Sep-13 01:00 PM by davidgoerndt

I finally decided to step into the CLS and get my flashes off my camera to see if I can do more creative artificial lighting photography. I have an SB-800 and just purchased an SB-700. I also have an SB-28 that I can add but not to CLS. After reading about setting up multiple flashes and trying a few experiments, I'm starting to understand how things work. One question I have is most of the documentation on CLS refers to IR triggering the remote flashes and those flashes need to be in line of sight with the master flash. In my experiments, I used the remotes in hidden places, not visible to the master flash and yet they still functioned. I guess I don't fully understand the nuances of the flashes and their settings fully yet. Is this a normal function for the flashes to be hidden and still get triggered?
Thanks to Thom Hogan's D800 manual, I found out the way to use the in camera flash as the commander and not contribute to the exposure as well as setting up groups. There is still much more to learn about this system as well as off camera lighting in general. I will probably have many more questions in the future.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G