Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62155
View in linear mode

Subject: "EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?" Previous topic | Next topic
jaydoc40 Gold Member Charter MemberWed 18-Sep-13 03:20 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?"

Kannur, Kerala state, IN

jaydoc

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

I find this changes in the photographs that I have taken recently with D800. In flash photography when I dial in +3 EV the flash power shows +3. When I dial +3 ev along with +3 flash increment the resulting snaps details show +6 flash increment. Can someone explain this?

Thanks in advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?
blw Moderator
18th Sep 2013
briantilley Moderator
18th Sep 2013
BGD600
18th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
18th Sep 2013
jaydoc40 Gold Member
27th Sep 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 18-Sep-13 03:36 PM
26583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The EC on the camera applies to the entire exposure. The EC on the flash unit applies only to the flash. So if you set -1EV on the camera and +1EV on the flash, the ambient will be dark and the primary subject will be normally exposed (-1 + +1 = 0 EV).

In your case, if you do +3 on the camera and then +3 on the flash, you SHOULD get +6.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 18-Sep-13 04:21 PM
28746 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 18-Sep-13 04:22 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

As Brian says, what you are seeing is what you would expect. Flash and exposure compensation are cumulative; I'm not sure how else it could work

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Wed 18-Sep-13 04:40 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

>As Brian says, what you are seeing is what you would expect.
>Flash and exposure compensation are cumulative; I'm not sure
>how else it could work

Agreed. However (on the d600 at least) there is a menu option that allows you to separate the two. ie camera exp comp does not affect flash output - can come in handy depending on your shooting style / requirements. V handy if you want to underexpose a background by a stop or two to make a subject pop

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 18-Sep-13 08:50 PM
26583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

I'm told that canon works differently. My impression is that the two EC settings are separate but not cumulative. Certainly I know that my Canon friend goes through a different algorithm for setting flash than I do. We normally think a lot alike so I'm sure that there's something different, although I certainly don't pretend to be a canon flash expert.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

jaydoc40 Gold Member Charter MemberFri 27-Sep-13 02:34 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: EV changes Connected to Flash power incremwnts ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Kannur, Kerala state, IN

jaydoc

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Thank you Brain for the information. Cumulative effect was not known to me I am happy it cleared by slight flash over exposure.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62155 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.