Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62154
View in linear mode

Subject: "Apple Teaches Nikon a Lesson About White Balance?" Previous topic | Next topic
Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 18-Sep-13 12:18 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Apple Teaches Nikon a Lesson About White Balance?"

Newburg, US

I'm very impressed with the two LED flash system on the new iPhone 5S - one white and the other amber. Apparently the lights work in tandem to automatically balance flash with the ambient lighting conditions. Very cool! I wonder if we'll see a Nikon flash with dual flash tubes or some other method for automatically adjusting flash temperature.

Visit my gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 18-Sep-13 05:24 PM
25572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Apple Teaches Nikon a Lesson About White Balance?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Anything is possible.

Thinking out loud:

I wonder how well it does with flourescent light.

Same for mixed light sources.

Speedlights have enough power to overpower the color temperature of the ambient light while the LED's in a phone do not.

Best Regards,
Marty

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Thu 19-Sep-13 01:31 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Apple Teaches Nikon a Lesson About White Balance?"
In response to Reply # 1

Newburg, US

Agreed, LED's would be a non-starter. Conductive and color-changing plastics have been around for a few years, so one can imagine the plastic lens over the flash tube responding to changing color temperatures.

I don't imagine the iPhone system would handle fluorescent very well, but just having the amber capability would address 90% of the situations where I have jelled a flash and set a custom white balance. But then tungsten lights these days are headed for the same trash heap as film. But it is still a clever innovation.

Visit my gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 19-Sep-13 06:01 PM
25572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Apple Teaches Nikon a Lesson About White Balance?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Chris,

> But it is still a clever innovation.

Yes!
Very clever.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62154 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.