Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62148
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 17-Sep-13 01:41 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"

Aventura, US

I am getting started in studio still-life photography and have a D7100 and a SB-700. In my first studio photography class I recently discovered that the D7100 doesn't have a PC synch port. This was remedied by purchasing a hot shoe adapter that has a synch port. In looking at my SB-700 I realized that it doesn't have a synch port either. It seems that in order to use this speedlight with a Pocket Wizard I would need another hot shoe adapter for the speedlight. Am I missing something? Is this type of setup going to work?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight
unclemikey Platinum Member
17th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th Sep 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
18th Sep 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
18th Sep 2013

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Tue 17-Sep-13 05:33 PM
651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Henrico, US

>I am getting started in studio still-life photography and
>have a D7100 and a SB-700. In my first studio photography
>class I recently discovered that the D7100 doesn't have a PC
>synch port. This was remedied by purchasing a hot shoe
>adapter that has a synch port. In looking at my SB-700 I
>realized that it doesn't have a synch port either. It seems
>that in order to use this speedlight with a Pocket Wizard I
>would need another hot shoe adapter for the speedlight. Am I
>missing something? Is this type of setup going to work?

Steve, you can use the D7100 as a commander and the SB-700 as a remote. Take a look at your manual. Just make sure when you position the SB-700 the IR window is facing the flash on the camera. You might want to purchase the SG 3IR which covers the flash on the camera so only the IR signal gets to the 700.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 17-Sep-13 07:09 PM
25664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Steve,

You don't need a hotshoe adaptor for the camera. You can mount the Pocket Wizard Plus III directly in your D7100's hotshoe.
You will need aItem #0154 Screwlock PC & Miniphone Jack to Flash Hotshoe Adapter to connect your SB-700 to a Pocket Wizard Transceiver (Plus II, Plus X, Plus III, or Multi-Max).

Best Regards,
Marty

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 18-Sep-13 07:55 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"
In response to Reply # 2

Aventura, US

I think I will buy that adapter. Do you know if the pocket wizard comes with a cable that plugs into the adapter or will I have to purchase that as well? Thank you.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 18-Sep-13 08:41 PM
25664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 18-Sep-13 08:44 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Steve,
The Pocket Wizard Plus III includes:

1. 1- Stereo 3.5mm Miniphone to Miniphone Cable
2. 1- Mono 3.5mm Miniphone to Locking PC Cable
3. 1- Stereo 3.5mm Miniphone to 1/4" Adaptor

Both Cable 1 and Cable 2 should work.
You should be able to use either one betweenthe #0154 Adaptor and the PW Plus III .

Best Regards,
Marty

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 18-Sep-13 08:47 PM
#5. "RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"
In response to Reply # 4

Aventura, US

Thanks Marty. That's good. I don't have to figure out which cable to buy.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 18-Sep-13 08:56 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 and PocketWizard III And SB-700 speedlight"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Steve,

After re- reading cable 1 I see that it is a Stereo cable.
I suspect that it will work but I am not 100% sure.
I have several 3.5mm (1/8") Miniphone to 3.5mm (1/8")Miniphone cables that I use with my MultiMax Transceivers and various strobes and adaptors.
I don't think my cables are Stereo cables and they are not close by for me to check them.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62148 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.