nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Capturing Bats in Flight

manples

Ashford, Middlesex, UK
39 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
manples Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008
Fri 13-Sep-13 10:30 PM

In two weeks time I will be accompanying two friends from the London Natural History Society on a visit to the Greywell Tunnel bat conservation site in Hampshire, UK. We hope to capture images of bats at dusk as they emerge from the tunnel. This will be a first visit but I'm told that we can get close to within 20-30 feet of the tunnel entrance. None of us have any experience of capturing bats in flight, though two have many years experience of capturing birds in flight.
We will have D700, D800 and D300S, together with four speed lights (SB800, SB900 (2) and SB910, all equipped with Pocket Wizards TT5 s and mini TT1 on camera. Lenses will be Nikon 70-200 and 300mm. We go there more in hope than expectation, but wonder if others may have tackled this kind of shoot before and perhaps have advice to offer on how best to tackle focus issues of bats in flight in failing light at dusk? Our present thinking is to manually pre-focus to a set distance and hope the bats will be in such numbers that TTL flash may capture one or two acceptable images.

manples

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G