Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62140
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capturing Bats in Flight" Previous topic | Next topic
manples Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008Fri 13-Sep-13 10:30 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capturing Bats in Flight"

Ashford, Middlesex, GB

In two weeks time I will be accompanying two friends from the London Natural History Society on a visit to the Greywell Tunnel bat conservation site in Hampshire, UK. We hope to capture images of bats at dusk as they emerge from the tunnel. This will be a first visit but I'm told that we can get close to within 20-30 feet of the tunnel entrance. None of us have any experience of capturing bats in flight, though two have many years experience of capturing birds in flight.
We will have D700, D800 and D300S, together with four speed lights (SB800, SB900 (2) and SB910, all equipped with Pocket Wizards TT5 s and mini TT1 on camera. Lenses will be Nikon 70-200 and 300mm. We go there more in hope than expectation, but wonder if others may have tackled this kind of shoot before and perhaps have advice to offer on how best to tackle focus issues of bats in flight in failing light at dusk? Our present thinking is to manually pre-focus to a set distance and hope the bats will be in such numbers that TTL flash may capture one or two acceptable images.

manples

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 17-Sep-13 12:04 AM
26734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Capturing Bats in Flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I once saw bats coming out in Austin, TX - but I didn't have gear with me. I think that if you can get your speedlights close to the tunnel entrance, you can get them to help you freeze the action and also to get a reasonable amount of DOF. I seriously doubt you'll be able to get individual bat portraits (for lack of a better term) but you should be able to catch the emergence as an event this way.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

manples Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008Tue 17-Sep-13 06:47 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capturing Bats in Flight"
In response to Reply # 1

Ashford, Middlesex, GB

Thank you, Brian. I'm sure you're right in thinking that no great bat portraits await us. We are thinking now along the lines of manual pre-focus to a set distance and hope, like you say, that we may be lucky in getting a few reasonable images of one or two bats in the active clusters. I'll post the best shot if we get anything at all worthwhile.

manples

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.