Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62111
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual Flashguns" Previous topic | Next topic
Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Fri 06-Sep-13 02:45 PM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual Flashguns"
Sat 07-Sep-13 06:14 PM by jrp

Calcutta, IN

Hello friends

I have Nikon D90 and Nikon SB600 Speed light. From my film days, I have two manual Flashguns lying around which I haven't used for quite some time. I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the two old manual flashguns using wireless Radio triggers.

Please advise.

Thank you

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Manual Flashguns
MEMcD Moderator
06th Sep 2013
Lighter Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
08th Sep 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
08th Sep 2013
Lighter Silver Member
09th Sep 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
10th Sep 2013
Lighter Silver Member
11th Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Sep-13 03:26 PM
25926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 07-Sep-13 06:15 PM by jrp

US

In a word: Yes!
Just make sure that the sync voltage of the flash unit does not exceed the RF triggers maximum sync voltage. (If the sync voltage of the flash is beyond the capacity of the RF trigger, you could damage the RF trigger.)
You can see if your old Flash units sync voltage is listed: Strobe Trigger Voltages .

Best Regards,
Marty

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Sat 07-Sep-13 03:35 PM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 07-Sep-13 06:15 PM by jrp

Calcutta, IN

Thanks a lot Marty.
I shall surely check out. Please tell me one thing, how to control the output of the flash? I understand that these triggers are basic and at most I can fire them together, but that's it!

>In a word: Yes!
>Just make sure that the sync voltage of the flash unit does
>not exceed the RF triggers maximum sync voltage. (If the sync
>voltage of the flash is beyond the capacity of the RF trigger,
>you could damage the RF trigger.)
>You can see if your old Flash units sync voltage is listed:
>Strobe Trigger
>Voltages> .

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 08-Sep-13 02:27 PM
25926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Please tell me one thing, how to
>control the output of the flash?

That depends on the flash unit that you have.
The power ratio on most flash units can be adjusted on the flash unit itself, though there are some units that the power can not be adjusted.
For flash units without any way to adjust the power ratio, you can move the unit closer to your subject to increase the effective power or move the unit further away from your subject to decrease the effective flash power. You can also use ND gel filters and or light modifiers to reduce the light output.

>I understand that these triggers are basic and at most I can fire >them together, but that's it!

The capablitiy depends on the particular flash units that you are using and the RF triggers. Some combinations provide more capability than others.

Best Regards,
Marty

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Sun 08-Sep-13 05:51 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

If you decide to go with the radio triggers, you might want to get units that have TTL pass-thru on the transmitter. That way you can use your SB600 in TTL mode on top of the transmitter, with the other units in straight manual mode positioned wherever you want. I went with the Phottix Strato II units because of this feature and they work very well.

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Mon 09-Sep-13 12:16 AM
#5. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 4

Calcutta, IN

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please explain it a little bit more? What do you mean by "TTL Pass Through on the transmitter"? How can I use "SB600 on top of the transmitter in TTL mode"?

Thanks again

>If you decide to go with the radio triggers, you might want
>to get units that have TTL pass-thru on the transmitter. That
>way you can use your SB600 in TTL mode on top of the
>transmitter, with the other units in straight manual mode
>positioned wherever you want. I went with the Phottix Strato
>II units because of this feature and they work very well.

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Tue 10-Sep-13 05:53 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 5

El Sobrante, US

My Strato II transmitter mounts on the camera hot shoe. The transmitter has a hot shot on top of it that the SB600 can then be mounted on. The SB600 can then be controlled in TTL mode and the Strato will send radio pulses to fire the off camera remotes.

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Wed 11-Sep-13 04:12 PM
#7. "RE: Manual Flashguns"
In response to Reply # 6

Calcutta, IN

>My Strato II transmitter mounts on the camera hot shoe. The
>transmitter has a hot shot on top of it that the SB600 can
>then be mounted on. The SB600 can then be controlled in TTL
>mode and the Strato will send radio pulses to fire the off
>camera remotes.

That's pretty nifty...the one I bought does not have a Hot Shoe on top of the transmitter, and the company you have mentioned is not available in our country

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62111 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.