Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62110
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon R1 kit usage" Previous topic | Next topic
gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2003Fri 06-Sep-13 12:13 PM
538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon R1 kit usage"
Fri 06-Sep-13 12:35 PM by gaopa

Hartwell, US

I have an R1 kit incoming from a fellow Nikonian. I plan on using it for micro photos and food shots.

I'm sure that more experienced Nikonians have found creative uses for the R1 and I would like to learn from you. Please share how you use your R1 and any tips you can give. TIA, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon R1 kit usage
mathjak107
08th Sep 2013
gaopa Silver Member
11th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
11th Sep 2013
gaopa Silver Member
13th Sep 2013
davepmyoung Gold Member
13th Sep 2013
gaopa Silver Member
14th Sep 2013
gaopa Silver Member
15th Sep 2013

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sun 08-Sep-13 10:50 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 08-Sep-13 10:51 AM by mathjak107

bayside queens, US

not sure how old it is but the ones from 2012 have a problem using rechargable batteries in the flashes.

we bought two units month apart from different vendors and both shut off after a few shots with rechargables. the commander does work fine with them.

even letting the rechargables sit for a week so voltage comes down does not help.

nikon does not support the idea of using rechargables in them.

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/browse

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2003Wed 11-Sep-13 12:01 PM
538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 1

Hartwell, US

Thanks for the "heads up" on the batteries.

My R1 kit is scheduled for delivery today and I'm eager to give it a try. Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 11-Sep-13 11:25 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I use a Sigma EM-140 ring light - roughly similar to an R1 kit in its basic form - for most work with models (as in small representations of large things, not glamour or fashion models). Usually this is far better than a single flash unit, although for complex situations I've found that multiple flashes are better. The R1 kit would be much simpler in those cases since the SU-800 is easier to program for CLS than the silly Sigma LCD thingie.

I pretty much always use it for chasing butterflies. My long macro (200/f4) has no VR, and even in full daylight shutter speeds can be daunting if stopped down to f/16 or f/22 for DOF reasons.

I don't own an R1, but one of my friends has one, and I've used his SB-R200s for some real estate shots. I lit the living spaces with regular SB-600 remotes and umbrellas, but it turned out to be useful to hide the R200's in some of the lamps. That provided both light as well as eliminating the oddball color balance problems since they were set up with uncompensated compact fluorescent bulbs.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2003Fri 13-Sep-13 09:32 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 3

Hartwell, US

Thanks, Brian, for your input on usage. I'm eager to try out the system. Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

davepmyoung Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2008Fri 13-Sep-13 09:45 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 4

Robertsbridge, GB

With the commander SU800 interfaces with the SB900, the SBR200's make great high light and fill flases as they all have their own stands. I always use Ultra 123 3Volt cells, rechargables in that size are next to useless.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2003Sat 14-Sep-13 11:27 AM
#6. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 5

Hartwell, US

Yes, the battery is a down side to the flash units. I think the little flash units will be a good stand-alone addition to my main flash. I'm eager to give them a try.

I'm also eager to give my Nikkor 105mm micro a go with this kit. Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2003Sun 15-Sep-13 11:09 AM
#7. "RE: Nikon R1 kit usage"
In response to Reply # 6

Hartwell, US

I just got Mike Hagen's book, The Nikon Creative Lighting System, 2nd ed., Nikonian Press.

Wow! Mike's book is going to be a great resource for all of my flash units. Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62110 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.