Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62087
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using slave SB 80DX with D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
JP1962 Registered since 04th Jul 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 07:26 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using slave SB 80DX with D7000"

Montreal, CA

I shoot with a D7000 and use the camera flash with a clip-on diffuser. I would like to know what is the best way that I could utilize my legacy Nikon SB 80DX speedlight ? I intend to use it as a Slave but have it sync to the appropriate settings.

Do I need to purchase a newer Speedlight SB700 or SB800 to take advantage of the iTTL and have it properly sync to the older speedlight? What do you recommend?

Thank you

john

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using slave SB 80DX with D7000
MEMcD Moderator
31st Aug 2013
JP1962
31st Aug 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Sep 2013
JP1962
09th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
10th Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 31-Aug-13 10:33 PM
25885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using slave SB 80DX with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!

First the SB-80DX is compatible with Film-TTL and D-TTL flash control systems. It is Not compatible with i-TTL flash control or CLS wireless flash control. The D7000 uses i-TTL flash control and is not backwards compaible. In other words the SB-80DX is Not compatible.
If you want to take advantage CLS wireless i-TTL flash control you must use your built-in Speedlight as Commander with an: SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, or SB-910 as a remote.

The SB-80DX can be used as an optical slave in Auto (non-TTL) or Manual mode. You will have to set the built-in Speedlight to Manual flash mode so the SB-80DX fires in sync with the shutter. For consistancy I would set the camera in Manual exposure mode and the remote SB-80DX in Manual flash mode.

BTW:
When you get a few minutes please fill in your last name in your User Profile.
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Marty

JP1962 Registered since 04th Jul 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 11:05 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using slave SB 80DX with D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Montreal, CA

I used to shoot with an F100 and my SB-80DX was fantastic. Since switching to Digital 5 years ago, it's been sitting in a drawer. I was hoping to find purpose for it because it's in MINT condition !

After reading some of the member posts and stickies, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps it's time to sell the SB-80DX and purchase a Nikon SB700 so I can take full advantage of all the new technologies.

Useful recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 02-Sep-13 12:51 AM
25885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using slave SB 80DX with D7000"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 02-Sep-13 12:52 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi John,

If you still shoot film, you might want to consider getting a used or refurbished SB-800 or SB-600 to start. If you don't plan on shooting film again, adding an SB-700 to your kit is a good idea. It has significantly more power than the built-in Speedlight. When used on camera you can take advantage of the tilting and rotating flash head for bounce flash and it is easier to use with diffusers to soften the light. It is also fully wireless CLS compatible so you can use it off camera controlling the ratio via i-TTL or Manually from the camera position via the Commander menu.

My film bodies continue to get occasional use. I use my SB-24, SB-800's, and Metz 60CT-4, 70MZ-5 with my F4, F5, and F100 bodies.
I also use my old film-TTL Speedlights and a few old Manual Speedlights with my digital bodies off camera in Manual flash mode.
I usually use Pocket Wizard (RF triggers) Transceivers to trigger them though on occasion when I will be the only one using flash, I trigger them optically.

As long as you can take your time with set-up, using manual flash control is not that difficult. It just takes practice.
So Don't give up on your SB-80DX.

Best Regards,
Marty

JP1962 Registered since 04th Jul 2013Mon 09-Sep-13 11:30 PM
#4. "RE: Using slave SB 80DX with D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Montreal, CA

Hi Marty,

I purchased the Nikon SB700 and put my SB80Dx for sale. Throughout the coming weeks I plan on using the new speedlite to improve my photography. So far, I have been very happy with the results and performance of the SB700.

Cheers,

John

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 10-Sep-13 04:10 AM
#5. "RE: Using slave SB 80DX with D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi John,

Congratulations on your new SB-700.
Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62087 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.