nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62050
View in linear mode

Subject: "On-Camera Softbox for SB-910" Previous topic | Next topic
mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sat 24-Aug-13 02:47 AM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
Sat 24-Aug-13 11:35 PM by JonK

San Jose, US

I just got a Nikon SB-910 Speedlight and would like to get a good on-camera softbox for it. What are the best choices for this?

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
24th Aug 2013
mpage Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
25th Aug 2013
ctadin Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
Luke_Miller Silver Member
25th Aug 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
27th Aug 2013
Luke_Miller Silver Member
02nd Sep 2013
ctadin Silver Member
02nd Sep 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
02nd Sep 2013
mpage Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
John Macmillan Silver Member
11th Sep 2013
mpage Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
DavidN4 Silver Member
26th Aug 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 24-Aug-13 11:34 PM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I have three portable softboxes, all by Lumiquest:

• For easy-and-I-carry-at-all-times, the 5"x7" Lumiquest Softbox that fits in my pocket but is still ten times the surface area of the speedlight head

• For more serious use, the 8" x 9" Lumiquest Softbox III, 20 times the surface area of the speedlight head. I use this for even candids.

• And then there's the 10"x14" Lumiquest Softbox LPt. I use this with using stands and bigger soft boxes and umbrellas.

Lumiquest has a How To Choose page. And while I like Lumiquest, you might want to look at Lastolite, too.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sun 25-Aug-13 01:40 AM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 25-Aug-13 02:10 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

Thanks Jon.

Do you use the self-adhesive Velcro or do you use the optional UltraStrap?

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 25-Aug-13 02:35 AM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 2

New York, US

Some years ago I used the self-adhesive velcro. No issue there, though it looks a bit weird when there is nothing attached. For the past few years I've used either the strap from Lumiquest or a similar one from Honl (I have some of his accessories). The strap works quite well.

Jon Kandel

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Sun 25-Aug-13 01:24 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 25-Aug-13 01:29 PM by ctadin

St Louis, US

Mark,
If you ever decide you want to buy a Portable Softbox, I'm very happy with Lastolite's EZBox Softbox. They do make an shoe mounted softbox, but I've never used it before, only their EZBox.

http://www.lastolite.us/softboxes

Cheryl

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Sun 25-Aug-13 01:49 PM
1533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

Here is what I use. Technically not a softbox, but functions the same. No Velcro required.

http://graslon.com/shop/graslon-prodigy-flat-flash-diffuser/

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Tue 27-Aug-13 06:41 PM
1207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 5

Lake Elmo, US

Interesting item but I was wondering if the mirrored surface is a gimmick or if in your opinion it really provides benefit. The reason I ask is it appears the flash head is pointed directly ahead, and thus the huge majority of light would pass thru the diffuser head without seeing the mirror.

Like I said though, it is a very interesting looking product.

Rick

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Mon 02-Sep-13 02:40 PM
1533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 02-Sep-13 03:12 PM by Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US

Sorry for the late response - I missed seeing your post.

The Graslon is very effective in my experience. There is an internal mirror positioned directly in front of the flash head that redirects the light back to the larger mirror that makes up the body of the unit. Which then reflects the light back towards the front panel. I took a self portrait of the Graslon in a mirror and the white panel was uniformly illuminated without hot spots.

Here is a fill flash shot of a backlighted subject taken using using it.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Mon 02-Sep-13 03:53 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 10

St Louis, US

Luke,
What a lovely photo, nicely lit.

Cheryl

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Mon 02-Sep-13 04:19 PM
1207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 02-Sep-13 04:20 PM by PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US

Hi Luke.....Oh....That makes sense !! I did not see that front mirror. Looks nice in the result. I am always looking for better light modifiers and this one looks intriguing !! Thanks again for the reply.

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Mon 26-Aug-13 02:08 AM
#6. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 26-Aug-13 02:10 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

Thanks everyone for the information. The LumiQuest Web site has videos demonstrating each product. I decided to go with two LumiQuest bundles:

LumiQuest Location / Portrait Kit

http://store.lumiquest.com/lumiquest-location-portrait-kit/

- SoftBox III
- Snoot XTR
- FXtra
- UltraStrap

LumiQuest ProMax System with UltraStrap

http://store.lumiquest.com/lumiquest-promax-system-with-ultrastrap/

- 80-20 ceiling bounce
- UltraStrap

There is an additional 15 percent discount for the month of August with free shipping. The total came to $133 for both bundles. During checkout you need to put "August" in the coupon field to claim the discount.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 26-Aug-13 02:13 AM
#7. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

You'll like both!

Jon Kandel

John Macmillan Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2005Wed 11-Sep-13 04:53 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Coquitlam, CA

How is the LumiQuest Location / Portrait Kit working out for you? I ordered one for myself so I'm just waitng for it to arrive.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Thu 12-Sep-13 01:24 AM
#14. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu 12-Sep-13 01:35 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

John,

I like the SoftBox III. It works well. I have not used the filters or the Snoot XTR yet.

I also got the Custom Brackets CB Folding-TA Flash-Rotating Bracket with Arca Swiss Quick Release Clamp. I had been using a Stroboframe and it worked well, but the CB Folding-TA works much better on every point. It is more expensive though, $107 to $35.

1. Folds up for easy storage.
2. Guides to keep speedlight straight when mounted.
3. Arca-Swiss Quick Release Clamp.
4. Can mount on a Arca-Swiss style tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/920165-REG/custom_brackets_cb_folding_ta_cb_folding_bracket_ta.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

I also got the CK-500 Arca-Swiss Plate Conversion Kit for $28.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ck-500&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

With it you can mount the bracket and camera on a tripod with a Arca-Swill type head.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Mon 26-Aug-13 01:43 PM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: On-Camera Softbox for SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

I'm using the Rouge Flashbennder with the diffusion panel. At 11x10, it is as big as I feel I need on a SB-800, and it really seems to give a nice big light source.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62050 Previous topic | Next topic