Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62019
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about SC-28/29 flash cords" Previous topic | Next topic
AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004Sat 17-Aug-13 10:26 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about SC-28/29 flash cords"

Oro Valley, US

Sorry if this is a basic question but...

I assume the way that Nikon has mechanized their cameras that if an SC-28 or SC-29 flash cord is used with my SB800 or SB700 flash, that the built-in camera flash will not function?

If incorrect, how can I get the built-in flash to function with use of those cables? I have a D300.

Thanks.

AZ Nikon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 18-Aug-13 02:17 AM
35059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about SC-28/29 flash cords"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 18-Aug-13 02:19 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Both the SB-29 and SB-29 need the hotshoe of the camera to communicate with it.
What do you want to do?
You can fire either the SB-800 or the SB-700, or both with the built-in flash, without any need for cables.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004Sun 18-Aug-13 05:06 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about SC-28/29 flash cords"
In response to Reply # 1

Oro Valley, US

I wanted to fire the D300 built-in flash and either the SB800 or the SB700 while attached to the SC-28/29 cable. I know I can use the D300 flash as the master unit and fire the SB700 and SB800 wirelessly as remote units, but I was just wondering if I could do the same with the cables attached.

AZ Nikon

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Aug-13 05:54 AM
26795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about SC-28/29 flash cords"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Stan,

>I wanted to fire the D300 built-in flash and either the SB800
>or the SB700 while attached to the SC-28/29 cable. I know I
>can use the D300 flash as the master unit and fire the SB700
>and SB800 wirelessly as remote units, but I was just wondering
>if I could do the same with the cables attached.

No!
When a Speedlight is in the hotshoe or attached to the hotshoe via an SC-17/SC-28/SC-29 TTL extension cord the built-in Speedlight is disabled.

Best Regards,
Marty

AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004Mon 19-Aug-13 04:23 AM
#4. "RE: Question about SC-28/29 flash cords"
In response to Reply # 3

Oro Valley, US

That's what I assumed. Thanks.

AZ Nikon

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62019 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.