Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62005
View in linear mode

Subject: "Backdrop question" Previous topic | Next topic
Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Fri 16-Aug-13 04:43 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Backdrop question"

El Sobrante, US

I am just starting to try studio pet portraits and I have a question about something I haven't seen discussed anywhere: how do you get a muslin backdrop to hang and rest on the floor without lots of small creases? Do you stretch it out and weight all the edges? If so, how? any suggestions gratefully acepted. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Backdrop question
jrp Administrator
16th Aug 2013
jherrel Silver Member
17th Aug 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
17th Aug 2013
hujiie Silver Member
17th Aug 2013
Nola Nikon Team Member
18th Aug 2013
MEMcD Moderator
18th Aug 2013
dboys Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
ScottChapin Moderator
05th Jan 2014
Jim Sack Silver Member
06th Jan 2014
Arkayem Moderator
07th Jan 2014

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 16-Aug-13 10:00 PM
34531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I use a steam "ïron" to get rid of the wrinkles.
The other thing is to get the subject not too close to it.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Sat 17-Aug-13 03:13 AM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

Elgin, US

I use a steamer. The type that works with fabric that is hanging. You don't use an ironing board. I got mine at Bead Bath & Beyond.
John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Sat 17-Aug-13 06:03 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

Thanks for the replies. I don't have too much trouble with the portion of the backdrop behind my subject because I use a large aperture and position the subject as far away from the backdrop as I can. I'm more concerned with the floor part. Since I'm shooting dogs, the backdrop laying on the floor is unavoidable in the image.

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Sat 17-Aug-13 08:04 PM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Use spray starch and iron it. That is far effective than steaming.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Nola Nikon Team Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2008Sun 18-Aug-13 03:33 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

GNO, US

Better yet, chuck the muslin and get one of the newer materials that don't have the problem. Photo Pie is one of my favorite vendors for that and they have a lot of variety.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Aug-13 05:45 PM
25945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brian,

I use a fabric steamer as well.

Best Regards,
Marty

dboys Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2014Sun 05-Jan-14 12:39 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 6

Hope, US

Wrinkle-free backdrops at http://backdrops.whcc.com/products/vantage-point.

Don

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 05-Jan-14 04:57 PM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I use a steamer as well.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Jim Sack Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Mon 06-Jan-14 12:47 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

Ballston Spa, US

Arrica Dorff, a well known pet photographer in Las Vegas, also recommends White House Custom Color for their wrinkle free backdrops. I'm a pet photographer in upstate NY but I shoot on location.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the pets sit on the floor? Having them on a sofa or ottoman may address your problem as well.

Jim
http://www.jimsack.com

Visit

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 07-Jan-14 06:56 PM
5997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Backdrop question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

I used a steamer for the muslin backgrounds.

Then, I taped the extension area to the floor (where people or pets would stand or sit). That extension area would stay relatively free from wrinkles if the subjects didn't slide around on it too much.

For pets, I usually posed them on a crate with another muslin draped over it. If wrinkles were a problem when shooting a low-key shot with a white background, I would extract the subject in photoshop and increase the exposure of the background to make it totally white. That also solves the problem of an uneven background light.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62005 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.