Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61969
View in linear mode

Subject: "vivitar 283" Previous topic | Next topic
berniedavies Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2013Tue 13-Aug-13 07:43 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"vivitar 283"

Georgetown, US

I shot a family gathering this weekend and used my D7100 with a SB-700 speedlite. After coming home and researching shooting with flash more I remembered I have a Vivitar 283 (stored without batteries in it). It works good and all and I was thinking about using it as a remote on future shoots. granted it does not offer TTL at all but for adding light it would. how can I sync it with the D7100?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Tue 13-Aug-13 01:01 PM
9418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: vivitar 283"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

The easiest way is to purchase an optical hot shoe slave. You mount the shoe on a lightstand, mount the flash to the shoe, and use the D7100's flash to trigger it.

The Nikon brand solution is the SU-4 Wireless Remote Slave TTL Flash Controller. It's a nice unit, but with a D7100 you're paying for a film-based TTL capability that you'll probably never use. Instead, I can recommend the Wein HS Hot Shoe slave. At $35, it's less than half the price of the SU-4. Other less expensive units are also available for as little as $10, but I've never used one.

There are two major issues with optical triggering. First, you can't use iTTL, because the pre-flashes will trigger the Vivitar prematurely. So you have to set your on-camera flash to manual or non-ttl automatic as well. Second, the optical sensor can be tripped by other light sources.

The alternatives are using a sync cord or radio transmitters. I'm not a fan of sync cords, but if you wish to use one, I suggest buying a Wein Safe Sync. This will serve two purposes -- it will provide the PC flash connection your D7100 lacks, and it will allow you to safely use your Vivitar 283 "on camera."

Radio triggers are sold with varying capabilities at various prices. I've successfully used the inexpensive units sold on eBay in the past, but as with all too many photographic accessories I ended up "buying twice" and upgrading to iTTL capable remotes.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 13-Aug-13 01:11 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: vivitar 283"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Don't use the Vivitar 283 at all until you verify the trigger voltage. The earlier units had voltages in the 200 to 600V range which can fry a digital camera.

And no it won't offer TTL at all. The flash intensity is controlled by the sensor on the front of the flash. So it's auto non-TTL once you set the ISO and lens aperture.

Len.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Aug-13 02:03 AM
25571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: vivitar 283"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bernie,

The Wein Peanut Slave sells for about $14.00 and will trigger Vivitar 285/283 flash units. As stated above you will be limited to setting your on camera SB-700 or built-in Speedlight to Manual flash mode and if you decide to use the SB-700 as a remote together with the Vivitar you must set the SB-700 in SU-4 optical slave mode. For the most consistant results use Manual exposure mode as well.

Also keep in mind that if others will be using flash close by, they will be triggering your remotes if you use optical slaves. To avoid the problem you must use RF slaves.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61969 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.