nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using an SB600 With the Pocket Wizard Plus III Transceiver

chanrahan

Baltimore, US
176 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chanrahan Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2004
Sun 11-Aug-13 12:58 AM

Hello All,

I'd like to start using Pocket Wizards with my Nikon gear so that I can do manual flash with a flash meter when shooting portraits. I realize that this is possible using i-TTL/CLS, and I've tried this, but working around the CLS pre-flash with a light meter is rather cumbersome.

I have an SB-800 and 2 SB-600s. According to what I can find on the PW website, the SB-800 will work fine with the Plus III, but the SB-600 will be a problem due to its lack of PC-Sync port.

According to a couple of posts I've seen here, it appears that something like this will allow the SB-600 to work with the Plus III: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765445-REG/Vello_HSA_PSN_PC_Top_Shoe.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Does anyone out there have experience using the Plus III with a converter like this? Would it be better just to get a Vivitar or SunPak that has a PC port rather than trying to make the SB-600 work?

I also realize that I could step up to the FlexTT5 transceiver, but it is much more expensive than the Plus III, and I'm not sure that I care about doing iTTL/CLS via radio. When I'm using the PW, I'll be using my flash meter, otherwise, I would just stick to iTTL/CLS without using either the the flash meter or the Pocket Wizards.

Thanks in advance for responding!

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using an SB600 With the Pocket Wizard Plus III Tran...

G