nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Toby01

El Sobrante, US
243 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012
Fri 09-Aug-13 03:33 AM

Hi, Everybody. I have two questions about Nikon's CLS system, even though I have been using it occasionally for several years:

1) My SB700 does not support normal TTL; it only does TTL-BL. If I use the SB700 as the master and a mix of other Nikon strobes for illumination, does CLS work in normal TTL or does the camera meter the flash in TTL-BL mode?

2) I have read many times that you should not use auto-ISO with TTL flash, and I basically understand the reasons for this. Normally, I use flash with the camera in manual, underexpose the ambient by 1/3 to 1 stop, and use the flash with +1/3 to +1 EC to bring exposure to the 'normal metered' value. But I wondered whether I could use auto-ISO with flash to handle situations where the ambient light is changing quickly. Here is my idea: in manual exposure mode, set my aperture and shutter speed as desired, set the camera EC to -1/3 to -1 and use auto-ISO to get the ambient underexposed by the corresponding amount. Then have the flash EC set to offset the camera's underexposure. Would this work? If not, can you explain why not? I will try some experiments, but I'm not sure how accurately I will be able to evaluate the results, particularly if this scenario works variably depending on the environment.

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Two CLS questions