Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61846
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB900 Firmware Update" Previous topic | Next topic
gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 06:36 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB900 Firmware Update"

Bracciano, IT

Hello to everybody,

I'm trying to update the firmware on my SB900 from ver 5.01 to ver 5.02 using my D700.

I took the firmware update from nikon website, an I put the file SB900502.bin (wich by the way is 175.026 byte long) on the root folder of a 2Gb Lexar Pro 300x I freshly formatted with the camera menu.

The camera battery is fully charged, and I've put 4 eneloop fully charged inside the SB900.

Then I put the flash on the hotshoe, and I on both camera and flash. When I navigate the menus to "firmware version" it's showing:

A 1.04
B 1.03
S 5.001

(the latter is the speedlight). I got the option to update, but when I try it, after confirmation, I see "flashing" a screen telling:

Updating
Warning! Do not turn the camera off during update.
Update will take serveral minutes.

(actually the screen flashes just a fraction of second, I've used a camcorder to be able to read what the camera is telling me)...

After that the camera stop the process with the diagnostic:

"Firmware can not be upgraded at current settings"

This one last some five seconds, and after disappears.

I've tried to google to find out what's the problem, but I cannot find nothing useful. The firmware upgrade instruction pdf sheet from Nikon didn't help...

Any help from Nikonians?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB900 Firmware Update
Asgard Administrator
26th Jul 2013
gianni24
26th Jul 2013
Asgard Administrator
28th Jul 2013
gianni24
31st Jul 2013
Reply message Update
gianni24
31st Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Update
Asgard Administrator
31st Jul 2013
Reply message RE: SB-900 Firmware Update
jrp Administrator
01st Aug 2013
Reply message Update
gianni24
27th Aug 2013
Reply message Update of update
gianni24
27th Aug 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 26-Jul-13 07:52 PM
51794 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB900 Firmware Update"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Strange.

Do you have just the firmware update for the flash on your card ?

If so, put also the last firmware update for the camera on the card.

Also be sure, all roots which have to be on the card are there.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 09:31 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB900 Firmware Update"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 26-Jul-13 09:41 PM by gianni24

Bracciano, IT

I'm going to try your suggestion, even without too much of hope: the update I'm starting, and gave me that strange message, is for the SB-900, and the confirmation screen before the update states clearly that I'm going to update from S 5.001 to S 5.002...

When you mention "roots" on the cards you are referring to the files that the D700 put on it after format or there's something else I'm missing?

EDIT: tried: if I put both the SB900502.bin AND the D700_0104.bin on the root of the card my D700 will propmt me to upgrade the firmware for the D700 (which is indeed up to date), and I got no choice to upgrade the SB-900.

I want to add some information on my bin files, in case someone would like to be so kind to check them against other files:

file: SB900502.bin
size: 175.026 byte
md5: a7a8ea7a47f09c16764e65b1ef7c203b

file: D700_0104.bin
size: 7.864.322 byte
md5: 8fcff5f7cc799da3f004df7b2aab117c

(you can find WinMD5 here: http://www.winmd5.com/download/winmd5free.zip)

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 28-Jul-13 11:33 AM
51794 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB900 Firmware Update"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

Have you tried a different memory card ?

Eala Freya Fresena

gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013Wed 31-Jul-13 04:55 PM
#4. "RE: SB900 Firmware Update"
In response to Reply # 3

Bracciano, IT

Thank you Gerold for support.

Unfortunately no luck: I tried your suggestion with a Lexar 8Gb, and the messages are still the same.

Started feeling scared too: since definitely there's something that's going wrong I fear to end with a dead camera and/or flash. I wont't like to deal with Nikon Service because of this after 4 years without a problem with my D700!!

The message is referring to my "settings" but apparently the settings camera settings are not supposed to influence the flash firmware update...

What I can try (if I find some bravery) is to reset the camera to factory, and then update!

Gianni

gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013Wed 31-Jul-13 05:08 PM
#5. "Update"
In response to Reply # 0

Bracciano, IT

I contacted italian Nikon Support reporting exactly what is happening, this is my "case number":

"ti ringraziamo per averci contattato
tua domanda è stata presentata al supporto Nikon
Il tuo numero di riferimento è 130731-000924
Ti ringraziamo per averci contattato. Risponderemo quanto prima. Puoi aggiungere informazioni o cancellare una domanda in qualsiasi momento andando alla pagina Domande."

Let's see what they're going to answer!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 31-Jul-13 07:34 PM
#6. "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 5

East Frisia, DE

OK. Let us know what they say.

Eala Freya Fresena

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 01-Aug-13 01:07 AM
34798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-900 Firmware Update"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Aug-13 08:15 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I have the firmware updates installed on my D700 and SB-900.
They show in camera menu to be:

A 1.04
B 1.03
S 5.002

I can't remember having any problem with the updating.
However I recalled doing them all with a freshly formatted (in camera) CF card.

Have you tried downloading it again?
It could have been corrupted or incomplete in the first trial.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 05:51 AM
#8. "Update"
In response to Reply # 0

Bracciano, IT

After 4 (four) weeks finally I received my answer from italian Nikon support, and was indeed really disappointing...

Sincerely I don't think they're going to solve my issue, probably the best would be to send my SB900 for firmware upgrade so Nikon support (wich will be a paid service, I suppose).

Here follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Nikon answer, italian

Nikon Italia 23/08/2013 | 05:40 PM
grazie per aver scelto il servizio di Supporto Europeo Nikon,

Di seguito le indichiamo il link presso il Supporto Nikon Europa ,dove presente l'aggiornamento firmware per A e B sviluppato da Nikon per D700 :

""" D700: Aggiornamento Firmware A 1.04, B 1.03 """
https://nikoneurope-it.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57156

il suggerimento è quello di seguire le istruzioni dettagliate per eseguire l'aggiornamento , facendo attenzione nell'operazione di copia file .bin nella scheda memoria che venga inserito nella Directory principale e non siano presenti cartelle nella card memoria

Cordiali saluti,

Supporto clienti Nital
www.europe-nikon.com/support
http://www.nital.it/

Nikon answer, summarized english

Let me just summary: they sent me a link to the D700 firmware update page (not SB900) suggestimg me to follow directions, and to put the bin file in the root of my memory card.

In short they didn't read carefully what I wrote (if they read it at all). I replied as follows, opening the "issue ticket" again.

my reply, italian

"Dal suggerimento ricevuto sembra la mia domanda non sia stata
compresa. Mi aspetto che il supporto Nikon Italia sia all'altezza di quello USA (che so per certo essere di un livello estremamente alto).

Ho bisogno di supporto per aggiornare il firmware del mio flash SB-900, e non della D700. Peraltro ho naturalmente seguito alla lettera le istruzioni riportate nella pagina:

https://nikoneurope-it.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26141/~/aggiornamento-firmware-versione-5.02-per-sb-900---windows

ed ho già aggiornato il firmware della mia D700, usando esattamente quello da voi indicato.

Grazie per la gentile risposta che spero non si farà attendere troppo."

my reply, translated in english:

"From your suggestion I argue you didn't understand my question. I suppose Italian service will be as high in quality as the USA one (wich I know being absolutely remarkable).

I need support in order to upgrade my SB900 speedlight firmware, not D700. Surely I followed literally the instruction from the page: (...) and I've already updated my D700 firmware, using exactly the link you posted me.

Thank you for you kind reply, wich I hope will not be late"

gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 11:42 AM
#9. "Update of update"
In response to Reply # 8

Bracciano, IT

Wow!

This time I've got an answer from them in less than a day! However no joy: they've ask me one more time to do what I did many times already...

I think I'll bring the flask to an authorized dealer, so they can update the firmware for me.

If somebody have suggestions or ideas of what else could be wrong on my firmware update process please feel free to reply on this thread.

Thankyou to everybody

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61846 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.