Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61782
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sb600 and Commander mode? " Previous topic | Next topic
cporiger Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2003Sun 14-Jul-13 01:08 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sb600 and Commander mode? "

Austin, US

I have the D7100 and an sb600. It doesn't appear as though you can turn off the built in flash when in commander mode; is that right?

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Sun 14-Jul-13 02:46 AM
1450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sb600 and Commander mode? "
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

Chuck,
When the camera's on-board flash is set in Commander mode, it is essentially turned off because it does not fire at fully intensity and is not the primary light source. The flash will fire a low/lower intensity flash because that is what triggers the remote flash unit.

Hope this helps...JL

cporiger Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2003Sun 14-Jul-13 12:51 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sb600 and Commander mode? "
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

So it still flashes and that is as designed? I had the flash up as instructed and saw it flash but assumed it was full strength and not performing correctly.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Chuck

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 14-Jul-13 02:25 PM
25926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sb600 and Commander mode? "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chuck,

Nikon CLS wireless flash control uses flashes of light to communicate commands from the Master (Commander) to the remotes so you can't turn the Commander off completely.
In the camera menu under flash commander mode, you can set the built-in Speedlight to -- and it will fire at very low power not contributing to the exposure unless you are shooting at macro distances or very close to your subject.
You can eliminate that by placing an SG-3IR in the hotshoe to convert the White Light to InfraRed.

Best Regards,
Marty

archer4219 Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 05:38 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sb600 and Commander mode? "
In response to Reply # 0

Surrey, CA

I have the SG-3IR that totally eliminates that slight flash of the the built in when in commander mode. It's a little cumbersome and awkward to look at when mounted but it does the job.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61782 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.