Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61774
View in linear mode

Subject: "DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??" Previous topic | Next topic
EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Fri 12-Jul-13 03:37 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"

Sterling Heights, US

I recently acquired,built and set up equipment (white reflective panels,professional strobe lighting kit) for my studio in my large basement room where I can do "full length portraits" at "135mm" focal length. One problem I am having is, I get shadows in the hair (by the ear) which reflectors could solve,facing angled upward from the floor, but I do not like having to use reflectors, as, it takes up valuable space with stands and etc and it inconveniences people or myself having to hold them. I want for myself and my subjects to be able to move freely with no stands in the way,which has led me to look for other tools,materials to accomplish this and I really am stuck on ideas which has led me to believe that maybe if there is a reflective "white" material that is "durable" enough to withstand walking on and is yet, washable, it might work. I really don't know much about muslin or any other backdrop materials, meaning as to what they are and how they can be used. Does anyone have any ideas or experience in this type of use or materials? I would appreciate anyone who might have some ideas or who can educate me in this area.

Thank you in advance.

EYEBALLER

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??
FredB D3 Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
EYEBALLER Gold Member
14th Jul 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
EYEBALLER Gold Member
14th Jul 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
EYEBALLER Gold Member
14th Jul 2013

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sat 13-Jul-13 09:57 PM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

Hi Bruce,

A few thoughts. I can think of three types of material that could be used:

1. Flooring, such as tile or linoleum, that can be wet-mopped;
2. Carpeting, that can be shampooed; and
3. Cloth, such as canvas, that can be laundered a number of ways (machine-wash, hose it down, etc.).

You didn't specify how washed.

I think there are a couple other considerations in addition to durability and wash-ability:

1. Especially considering your full-length shots, there not only is the consideration of the texture of the material if it is to be part of the image, but also how it might blend into your background(s).

2. Safety - any material, especially cloth, that might be removable for washing could present slipping/tripping hazards unless you find some way of both smoothing it, and anchoring it securely.

I think I would go with some type of carpet, and a carpet pad if needed.

I just saw some background material at the local Calumet that faded from dark (black I believe) to light, but it was too small for your use (it was table-top size), and I don't believe it would be durable enough either. You might find backdrop cloths that are similar in design, and/or with something other than black, and larger at one of the bigger photo supply houses (B&H/Adorama come to mind). Calumet also might have something that would work.

But from your post, it sounds as though you want something more approaching room size, and that's why I suggested carpeting.

Fred
Maryland, USA

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Sun 14-Jul-13 03:00 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 1

Sterling Heights, US

>Hi Bruce,
>
>A few thoughts. I can think of three types of material that
>could be used:
>
>1. Flooring, such as tile or linoleum, that can be
>wet-mopped;
>2. Carpeting, that can be shampooed; and
>3. Cloth, such as canvas, that can be laundered a number of
>ways (machine-wash, hose it down, etc.).
>
>You didn't specify how washed.
>
>I think there are a couple other considerations in addition to
>durability and wash-ability:
>
>1. Especially considering your full-length shots, there not
>only is the consideration of the texture of the material if it
>is to be part of the image, but also how it might blend into
>your background(s).
>
>2. Safety - any material, especially cloth, that might be
>removable for washing could present slipping/tripping hazards
>unless you find some way of both smoothing it, and anchoring
>it securely.
>
>I think I would go with some type of carpet, and a carpet pad
>if needed.
>
>I just saw some background material at the local Calumet that
>faded from dark (black I believe) to light, but it was too
>small for your use (it was table-top size), and I don't
>believe it would be durable enough either. You might find
>backdrop cloths that are similar in design, and/or with
>something other than black, and larger at one of the bigger
>photo supply houses (B&H/Adorama come to mind). Calumet
>also might have something that would work.
>
>But from your post, it sounds as though you want something
>more approaching room size, and that's why I suggested
>carpeting.

I thank you fred for your input. I think I just solved my own problem today,I bought an 8 ft x12 ft one piece roll of off-white vinyl for $40 which I will try out soon. I will photoshop anyway because I use various backdrops from pictures I take myself of many different things so I don't need to have a long runway hanging from rods and stands. I only need this floor vinyl to reflect light upward from the floor to give light under the chin and in the hairline by the ears where shadows like to commonly hang out,so that I or my subjects don't have to hold a reflector or have stands in the way that hold them.

EYEBALLER

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 14-Jul-13 10:22 AM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 3

Potomac, US

Good to hear; I hope this works out well for you. S/B easy to damp-mop clean. Depending on its thickness, you might need some weights to keep it from rolling back up.

Fred
Maryland, USA

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 13-Jul-13 10:14 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Jul-13 10:16 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

If you have access to a plastics supplier take a look at white Styrene sheets. A .040" x 4' x 8' sheet should be under $20. It’s rugged, washable and rolls up like paper for storage.

0.060" thickness is more rugged but you will need help preferably from an experienced alligator wrestler to roll it up.

If you want a stand-on backdrop for full length portraits a 10' sheet might be better.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Sun 14-Jul-13 03:03 AM
#4. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 2

Sterling Heights, US

>If you have access to a plastics supplier take a look at
>white Styrene sheets. A .040" x 4' x 8' sheet should be
>under $20. It’s rugged, washable and rolls up like paper for
>storage.
>
>0.060" thickness is more rugged but you will need help
>preferably from an experienced alligator wrestler to roll it
>up.
>
>If you want a stand-on backdrop for full length portraits a
>10' sheet might be better.
>
>Barry
>http://art2printimages.com
>
Thank you Barry for your response.I think my problem is solved though now,read my reply to Fred. Thanks again for your time.

EYEBALLER

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 14-Jul-13 06:57 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 4

Kleinburg, CA

>>
>Thank you Barry for your response.I think my problem is solved
>though now,read my reply to Fred. Thanks again for your time.

You're welcome. Where did you buy the roll of vinyl?

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Sun 14-Jul-13 07:13 AM
#6. "RE: DURABLE/WALK ON REFLECTIVE WHITE BACK DROP??"
In response to Reply # 5

Sterling Heights, US

>
>>>
>>Thank you Barry for your response.I think my problem is
>solved
>>though now,read my reply to Fred. Thanks again for your
>time.
>
>You're welcome. Where did you buy the roll of vinyl?
>
>Barry
>http://art2printimages.com
>
I bought the roll of vinyl at "LOWES" store- it's a home supply store chain out here in the midwest. Maybe you have heard of 'Home Depot" - same thing,just different owner and a little different in brands and some products.

Good luck and good shooting to you.

EYEBALLER

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61774 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.