Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61762
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about used speedlights" Previous topic | Next topic
AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2004Wed 10-Jul-13 03:12 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about used speedlights"

Oro Valley, US

I have an SB800, and I am looking to purchase a second speedlight. I still read comments about overheating concerns with the SB910, so I was thinking of buying a used SB800 from either Nikon or BH photo.

Are refurbished units from Nikon "just as good" as the new units? Any concerns about buying used flash units? Should I just spend the money and get a new 910?

Your thoughts and comments about this issue are welcomed.

Thanks.

AZ Nikon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about used speedlights
HBB Moderator
10th Jul 2013
Arkayem Moderator
11th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jul 2013
cocola Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
Reply message Thanks, everyone.
AZ Nikon Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Thanks, everyone.
RABaker
14th Jul 2013
ctadin Silver Member
15th Jul 2013
DogmanJim Gold Member
21st Oct 2013
Giguchan Silver Member
21st Oct 2013
Giguchan Silver Member
21st Oct 2013

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 10-Jul-13 05:12 PM
8492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Stan:

I suggest a refurbished SB800. The SB800 is the clear unit of choice by many of us for several reasons:

1) Rock solid performance. I own a herd of twelve SB800s, and have had one failure (LCD screen) in all the years, which Nikon promptly repaired at no charge.

2) Smaller size than the 900/910 units. Significant when mounted on-camera.

3) Identical to your existing unit, no new setup to learn.

4) Quality used units are in great demand, and often sell for more than the new price.

5) I also own an SB600, SB700, and SB900, and they are rarely used.

My thoughts ... other opinions will vary.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 11-Jul-13 02:08 PM
6000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

I agree 100 percent with Hal (HBB). The SB800 is the best flash Nikon has ever made for people who need to shoot hundreds of flash shots in a short period of time.

I have bought refurbished SB800's from several places, and every one has been like brand new. I have also bought a couple from that big auction site, and they were good as well.

I have only destroyed one SB800 since 2005, and that was when I connected a Quantum high voltage pack to it to make it recycle in under two seconds - don't do that! You can't hurt them, no matter how hard you drive them, when using the standard four internal batteries.

SB800's also have a fifth battery option, which will make them recycle quicker, but they can then overheat if you shoot rapidly for a long time, especially in hot weather. However, they have always recovered when they cooled down.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 11-Jul-13 02:07 PM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stan,

Nikon Service goes through Refurbished products very well before they sell them so a refurbished SB-800 should perform "like new".
If you are happy with your SB-800, you should be happy with a refurbished one as well.

Best Regards,
Marty

cocola Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2008Thu 11-Jul-13 02:57 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question about used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Lawrenceville, US

I own both SB800 and SB900. I use the SB900 more often. The SB800 is pretty much only used as a remote when I need the additional light. The reason is not any improved flash capabilities, but the interface. I love that the SB900 has an on/off/remote/master physical switch on it. Navigating the menus on the SB 800 seems awkward to me, causing delay in setting it up for remote or master and returning it to appropriate settings for single on camera use. The size of the SB900 is a bit overwhelming at times, and the SB800 accommodates the Light Sphere I have better, but the included diffuser for the SB900 seems to do a better job than the one for the SB800. I most often use the Light Sphere so that is not a big deal for me. I am yet to overheat any flash, but I do not shoot events that are all that demanding. The big thing is the interface, particularly that physical switch to turn on/off/remote/master...
Just my thoughts.

- Cocola

cocola

AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2004Sat 13-Jul-13 11:39 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Thanks, everyone."
In response to Reply # 0

Oro Valley, US

Any suggestions on where to buy a used SB-800? BH Photo and Nikon stores are out of stock.

AZ Nikon

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sun 14-Jul-13 12:10 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Thanks, everyone."
In response to Reply # 5

Sunnyvale, US

Both Adorama and KEH good reliable sources.

Good luck,
Richard

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Mon 15-Jul-13 03:32 AM
978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Thanks, everyone."
In response to Reply # 6

St Louis, US

Stan,
You can also post on Nikonians Forum: Want to Buy.

Cheryl

DogmanJim Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2003Mon 21-Oct-13 02:27 AM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thanks, everyone."
In response to Reply # 5

Columbus, US

I recently got lucky and picked up 2 used SB800 for $275 a piece. Both in excellent condition with box and books and some additionals. A week later I was able to get another (with the diffuser missing) for $225. This was at Midwest Photography in Columbus OH, where I live. So I now have 4 SB800s (one not working - have to send it in) and a SB600.

Jim Himes
Columbus, Ohio, USA

Photographic composition is the strongest way of seeing. ... Edward Weston
"It is easy to take a photograph, but it is harder to make a masterpiece in photography than in any other art medium." Ansel Adams

Giguchan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Mon 21-Oct-13 03:23 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thanks, everyone."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 21-Oct-13 03:37 AM by Giguchan

Long I$land, US

My turn....
I was going to say the same thing that everyone else has said. I found an SB800 in a pawn shop for $200. It was going strong... until tonight. The flash fires and backlight lights up and everything appears to work- except the screen is dark I mean the LCD is dead.. I tried removing the batteries- changing the batteries but nothing works. depending on what the outcome is here I'll still hunt down another SB800.
While I am complaining.... does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I was hoping that there might be a factory reset or something.... if not, with a headwind I'm 30 min from Nikon In Melville.

Nikon D3
P7100
P5000
AW110
Plenty of Lenses to keep me busy.
Cheers
my Nikonians gallery.

Giguchan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Mon 21-Oct-13 03:26 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Thanks, everyone."
In response to Reply # 8

Long I$land, US

>I recently got lucky and picked up 2 used SB800 for $275 a
>piece. Both in excellent condition with box and books and some
>additionals. A week later I was able to get another (with the
>diffuser missing) for $225. This was at Midwest Photography
>in Columbus OH, where I live. So I now have 4 SB800s (one not
>working - have to send it in) and a SB600.

Must look like the Northern lights in your studio...

Nikon D3
P7100
P5000
AW110
Plenty of Lenses to keep me busy.
Cheers
my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61762 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.