Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61745
View in linear mode

Subject: "D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?" Previous topic | Next topic
johannielscom Registered since 04th Jul 2013Fri 05-Jul-13 02:26 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"

NL

Title says it all, I reckon...!

Recently I purchased a D600 and mainly will be using it for wedding reportage.

Indoors: I plan to keep ISO below 4000, shutter at 1/200th and still have at least aperture 5.6 for sufficient DOF. I want to use an OmniBounce to light rooms and scenes up more naturally. My widest lens is 24mm so it needs to cover wide angles too.

Outdoors: Balanced flash and ambient, or fill flash. ISO still max 4000, shutter max 1/200th.

I'm thinking that Nikons CLS or i-TTL flashes all can handle this easily. And a score of other brands and types probably are fully compatible too.

Question is, why would I choose one over the other? Things like usability, easy access to settings, balance on the camera, etc all are unknown to me.

So I'm asking, what flash did you choose, and why? And would you recommend it since you used it!?

Thanks in advance,

Johan Niels

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choo...
Arkayem Moderator
06th Jul 2013
johannielscom
06th Jul 2013
Arkayem Moderator
07th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
Arkayem Moderator
07th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
Arkayem Moderator
07th Jul 2013
johannielscom
07th Jul 2013
Craig Bennett
12th Jul 2013
James23p Moderator
12th Jul 2013

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 06-Jul-13 01:53 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Title says it all, I reckon...!
>
>Recently I purchased a D600 and mainly will be using it for
>wedding reportage.
>
>Indoors: I plan to keep ISO below 4000, shutter at 1/200th and
>still have at least aperture 5.6 for sufficient DOF. I want to
>use an OmniBounce to light rooms and scenes up more naturally.
>My widest lens is 24mm so it needs to cover wide angles too.
>
>Outdoors: Balanced flash and ambient, or fill flash. ISO still
>max 4000, shutter max 1/200th.
>
>I'm thinking that Nikons CLS or i-TTL flashes all can handle
>this easily. And a score of other brands and types probably
>are fully compatible too.

>Question is, why would I choose one over the other? Things
>like usability, easy access to settings, balance on the
>camera, etc all are unknown to me.

If you really need to use ISO4000, then the SB-800 is not recommended. It has a maximum ISO of 1000.

The SB700, 900, and 910 will all handle ISO 4000.

That said, most people use ISO 400 for most indoor people photography, with the camera in Manual mode set around 1/80th and f/ 4.5. This will usually eliminate the ambient contribution on a subject's face. If you boost the ISO, it will allow ambient light to contribute to the subject's face, which can cause white balance problems if the ambient is a different color than the flash.

I invite you to read my articles about CLS starting here:
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

johannielscom Registered since 04th Jul 2013Sat 06-Jul-13 08:25 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 06-Jul-13 08:26 PM by johannielscom

NL

Thank you Russ,

never thought of white balance putting a finger in my cake when it comes to balancing ambient and flash lighting... dang!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I keep close to ISO 400, there's not just the modern flashes I can use, but also the older ones, right? Since the flash can handle the lighting by itself while the camera is in manual... Or am I missing something when it comes to fill flash outdoors?

I'm pretty new to flash photography in general, having shot classic film cameras in available light for the last six, seven years. In weddings it's essential to get it right and get it fast so I got back into digital with a new DSLR and flash.

Your blog is going to help me out quite a lot, thanks for writing and linking to it!

Johan Niels

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 07-Jul-13 12:48 AM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 2

>never thought of white balance putting a finger in my cake
>when it comes to balancing ambient and flash lighting...
>dang!
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong but if I keep close to ISO 400,
>there's not just the modern flashes I can use, but also the
>older ones, right? Since the flash can handle the lighting by
>itself while the camera is in manual... Or am I missing
>something when it comes to fill flash outdoors?

It's not the ISO that restricts older flashes from working on the newer DSLRs. It's the TTL modes. The only flashes that will work on the D600 in TTL or TTL-BL modes are the SB600 and newer. The older ones used a film TTL system and will work only in non-TTL modes like Auto (A) and Auto Aperture (AA). These are the modes that use the small clear window in the flash itself to measure the reflected energy and the flash turns itself off when the exposure is correct. The older flashes will also work in Manual mode. The TTL modes on the newer flashes generally work better than the Auto modes of the older flashes.

Also, it is important to know that TTL and TTL-BL flash modes do not work well with Auto ISO, so you should always set your camera in fixed ISO when shooting flash.

>I'm pretty new to flash photography in general, having shot
>classic film cameras in available light for the last six,
>seven years. In weddings it's essential to get it right and
>get it fast so I got back into digital with a new DSLR and
>flash.

You are right, and if you use the guidelines in my blog articles, your flash shots should be nearly 100% usable (from an exposure standpoint).

>Your blog is going to help me out quite a lot, thanks for
>writing and linking to it!

You're most welcome!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 07:26 PM
4412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 1

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi Russ.

"If you really need to use ISO4000, then the SB-800 is not recommended. It has a maximum ISO of 1000."

I don't remember reading this anywhere. What happens if you set your ISO above 1000? Is this true for all Nikon digital cameras?

JIM

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 07-Jul-13 08:24 PM
#5. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 4

>"If you really need to use ISO4000, then the SB-800 is
>not recommended. It has a maximum ISO of 1000."
>
>I don't remember reading this anywhere. What happens if you
>set your ISO above 1000? Is this true for all Nikon digital
>cameras?

Actually, maximum ISO 1000 is specified in the SB800 manual, but very few people know about it.

What can happen is that when you are close to your subject with the ISO set too high, the SB800 flash cannot reduce its power low enough to keep from overexposing the image (ie, reduce the length of the flash pulse enough). The newer flashes can set a much lower power level than the SB800, so they can work with a much higher ISO. However, this is a specification that is not tightly controlled in the SB800, so some SB800s can work with much higher ISOs than others.

If all of your shots will be at longer distances from your subjects, you can use much higher ISOs than 1000 with the SB800.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 09:03 PM
4412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 5

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi Russ.

Thanks for explaining in detail. Then if one were using an umbrella or other diffusion this limit might be higher? Also with the variation between the various SB800s one could find the best high ISO model out of one's stable (I have 4) to use in these situations. Not that I can really envision a situation where I would need to use ISOs higher than 1000.

JIM

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 07-Jul-13 09:26 PM
#7. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 6

>Hi Russ.
>
>Thanks for explaining in detail. Then if one were using an
>umbrella or other diffusion this limit might be higher? Also
>with the variation between the various SB800s one could find
>the best high ISO model out of one's stable (I have 4) to use
>in these situations. Not that I can really envision a
>situation where I would need to use ISOs higher than 1000.
>
>JIM

Yes, that is right, but, there is really no reason to use higher than ISO 400, when shooting portraits.

I have used really high ISO with an SB800 flash only a few times. One time that I remember is when I was shooting a building at dusk from about 250 yards away. I wanted the flash to brighten the building, and I think I used about ISO 4000. It worked great!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

johannielscom Registered since 04th Jul 2013Sun 07-Jul-13 10:40 PM
#8. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 7

NL

So,

Russ really helped me out in understanding how to go about with flash on the D600. Now, does anybody like to share what flash they got with their D600 and why?

Thanks!

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012Fri 12-Jul-13 05:15 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 8

Rio Rancho, US

>So,
>
>Russ really helped me out in understanding how to go about
>with flash on the D600. Now, does anybody like to share what
>flash they got with their D600 and why?
>
>Thanks!

I use D800e's instead of the D600, but they are close enough. I use the SB-900 and SB-910's for weddings.

Why, because they are workhorses for event photographers.

I use PocketWizard FlexTT5/MiniTT1, AC3 and PowerMc2 for control of my SB-9xx and Einstein E640 for formals and reception lighting. I use external battery packs for my SB-9xx as well.

I use to shoot like Russ (lower ISO), but now I like to light up the ambient with two Speedlights on manual and use my on camera flash more as fill. Especially with our great low noise/high ISO cameras (D600, D800, D3, and D4 provides) (I never went above 400 ISO when shooting weddings with Nikon D1x and 800 ISO with D2x....too much noise)

I do up my ISO, typically 1250 but go to 3200 if needed, so as not to have a dark cave for ambient and color correct in post (shot RAW). I gel/filter my Speedlights to try to match ambient as best as I can. I usually keep my shutter speed at 1/125 and like f/5.6.

I keep my remotes on manual power around 1/16 to 1/8 depending on room and placement and I run my on camera flash on TTL with FEV about -1, I use a flashbender light modifier on the on camera flash and 42" reflective umbrella's on the remotes. I get good results.

Regards,
Craig

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 06:28 AM
9642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D600 and flash for wedding shots, what did you choose?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 12-Jul-13 06:31 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

This is a great topic! I have read it twice I just wanted to thank all those who contributed, there is a ton of great information.

I've been thinking of upgrading my ancient SB-600 that has been a work horse and the SB-910 is really starting to move up on my need list.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61745 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.