Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61709
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-15" Previous topic | Next topic
jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Sun 30-Jun-13 05:31 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-15"

Imperial, US

I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-15 that I purchased somewhere in the early '80s for use with my Nikon FE2 SLR camera. The flash had automatic modes to work with the camera, as well as a manual mode. I just purchased a Nikon D5100 D-SLR. Does anyone know if I can use the Speedlight with it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-15
ron917 Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
jla930
30th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
30th Jun 2013
jla930
30th Jun 2013
jla930
01st Jul 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
jla930
01st Jul 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
01st Jul 2013
jla930
01st Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
jla930
02nd Jul 2013
jla930
02nd Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
jla930
02nd Jul 2013
jwalding6807
07th Jul 2013

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Sun 30-Jun-13 06:53 PM
344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 0

Andover, NJ, US

Page 204 of the D5100 Reference Manual has charts indicating which Nikon flash units operate in which modes with the D5100.

The SB-15 will work in Manual and Non-TTL Auto ("A" on the flash). Rear curtain sync also works.

Best regards,
-Ron

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Sun 30-Jun-13 07:04 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 1

Imperial, US

Awesome. Thank you.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Jun-13 07:06 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Since the SB-15 is limited to Non-TTL Auto flash mode and Manual flash mode when mounted on a DSLR you should use Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO for the most consistant results.

Best Regards,
Marty

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Sun 30-Jun-13 08:16 PM
#4. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 3

Imperial, US

Thank you.

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 06:44 PM
#5. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 0

Imperial, US

After attaching the Speedlight SB-15 to the camera, I set the Speedlight to one of the two auto (non-TTL) settings. The flash fires, but the camera is using a very slow shutter speed, like 2 seconds. The camera is set on P. What am I doing wrong?

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Mon 01-Jul-13 06:54 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 5

Lynnwood, US

The camera is metering the ambiant light. Try M.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

my website

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 07:06 PM
#7. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 6

Imperial, US

M on the camera? Or M on the flash?

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Mon 01-Jul-13 07:10 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 7

Lynnwood, US

Manual on the camera so you can control the exposure. The SB-15 apparently isn't recognized by the camera so it meters as though there is no flash.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

my website

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 01-Jul-13 08:45 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 02-Jul-13 01:56 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Jeffrey,

As I wrote above, set the camera in Manual exposure mode.
Also set the ISO to Manual as well.
Then set the shutter speed on your D5100 to 1/200 sec. or slower.
Use the calculator in on the SB-15 to set the aperture (f/#) based on the flash to subject distance and the ISO (ASA) you have set in the camera and flash calculator.

Best Regards,
Marty

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 09:57 PM
#10. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 9

Imperial, US

Thanks for your help, folks. I understand now.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 02:02 AM
#11. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Jeff,

Great!
In non-TTL Auto flash mode, the sensor built into the flash unit will cut the flash power once it "sees" enough light for a correct exposure based on the Aperture setting indicated on the Speedlight.
While i-TTL flash control is much more user friendly, non-TTL flash control is accurate as long as you keep the flash to subject distance within the range indicated in the flash calculator.

Best Regards,
Marty

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 02:08 AM
#12. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 02-Jul-13 02:19 AM by jla930

Imperial, US

So it sounds like I should put the camera on M, set the shutter speed to 1/200 or slower, and set the aperture to whatever scale I'm using on the flash. But then is it necessary to set the flash on M? Or can I set the flash on A and let the flash read the light as you mentioned above? By the way, this flash has two A settings.

***Disgard. You answered my question in your previous post: use non-TTL Auto. Thanks again.

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 02:28 AM
#13. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 02-Jul-13 02:30 AM by jla930

Imperial, US

I just remembered that my FE2 camera would automatically set the shutter speed to something appropriate when the flash was turned on. Obviously the D5100 won't do that with this flash. I think I was expecting it to...duh! Therein lies my original problem.

Thanks for all your help. Now I can go to bed less stupid!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 03:05 AM
#14. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Hi Jeff,

It is easy to understand the confusion:

Over the years, Nikon has had three distinct TTL flash control systems.
1. The original TTL flash control system that was deisgned for Film cameras.

2. (Digital) D-TTL flash control used by the early DSLR's like the D1 series and D100.

3. (intelligent) i-TTL flash control system introduced with the D2 series and D70 bodies and continues to be used today.

The problem is all three systems are completely different and are not compatible with each other.

That said, to add a little confusion: The SB-_ _ DX Speedlights with a DX suffix use D-TTL flash control but are backwards compatible to film TTL. The first generation of i-TTL Speedlights (SB-600, SB-800) are backwards compatible with both D-TTL flash control and film TTL flash control. The D2 series are i-TTL compatible and backwards compatible to D-TTL flash control. The F6 is i-TTL compatible and backwards compatible to film TTL.
The discontinued SB-900 and current SB-400, SB-700, and SB-910 use i-TTL flash control and have no backwards compatibility.

Over the years most of the higher end Speedlights have one version of TTL flash control, AA or Non-TTL Auto flash control, and Manual flash mode. The entry level Speedlights have one version of TTL flash control and Manual flash mode.

Best Regards,
Marty

jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 07:28 AM
#15. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 14

Imperial, US

Thank you for the thorough explanation.

jwalding6807 Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Sun 07-Jul-13 01:47 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: SB-15"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Jul-13 04:56 AM by jwalding6807

US

I own and use two sb-15 flashes on my Nikon cameras. I use manual mode or aperture priority on the camera and "A" mode on the flash. Motor drive "MD" mode and "TTL" will not work properly. I have found strangely enough that "A" position, "A2" on top switch, camera set to 1/60 and F8 will work with every lens I own. May be a bit dark or light, but is always a good place to start. This also works on my film cameras, they usually are a little dark and I open up about one stop. I keep my cameras on about 400 ISO. You can also leave camera on "P", auto and A2 position on flash and it will work well with 28 to 50mm lenses. Tried with primes and zoom. Works on D1,D2,D100 and my D40 and D70 Bodies. For some reason D60 Overexposes slightly.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.