Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61692
View in linear mode

Subject: "Looking for Flash Advice" Previous topic | Next topic
Rathvon Registered since 24th May 2013Tue 25-Jun-13 08:08 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Looking for Flash Advice"

Herndon, US

I am debating on whether or not I should invest in the Nikon SB-910, or save a few bucks by getting the Yongnuo YN-568EX. I have looked carefully at both units, but was looking for some wisdom before making this purchase. I use flash mainly on a bracket for event photography and outdoor portraits.

Any advice or experiences with either would be appreciated.

I will be using this with my D7000.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Looking for Flash Advice
MEMcD Moderator
25th Jun 2013
Arkayem Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
djreed Gold Member
04th Jul 2013
spyder08 Gold Member
04th Jul 2013
HBB Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
Rathvon
02nd Jul 2013
FineArtSnaps Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
Rathvon
03rd Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 25-Jun-13 10:14 PM
25736 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Nikon Speedlights are designed to be fully intigrated with the electronics and firmware in Nikon DSLR's as part of a system. If you want consistant and repeatable results get the SB-910 and don't look back!

If you want third party options you should consider Metz or Quantum, though both are priced similar or significantly higher than the SB-910.

Best Regards,
Marty

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 02-Jul-13 09:05 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I am debating on whether or not I should invest in the Nikon
>SB-910, or save a few bucks by getting the Yongnuo YN-568EX.
>I have looked carefully at both units, but was looking for
>some wisdom before making this purchase. I use flash mainly
>on a bracket for event photography and outdoor portraits.
>
>Any advice or experiences with either would be appreciated.
>
>I will be using this with my D7000.

I highly recommend staying with Nikon flash, because none of the third party flashes are TOTALLY compatible with the very complex CLS. I predict that if you buy the Yongnuo now, you will buy a Nikon flash later, so you won't really save any money at all.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

djreed Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2008Thu 04-Jul-13 02:12 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 2

Downers Grove, US

>>I am debating on whether or not I should invest in the
>Nikon
>>SB-910, or save a few bucks by getting the Yongnuo
>YN-568EX.
>>I have looked carefully at both units, but was looking
>for
>>some wisdom before making this purchase. I use flash
>mainly
>>on a bracket for event photography and outdoor portraits.
>
>>
>>Any advice or experiences with either would be
>appreciated.
>>
>>I will be using this with my D7000.
>
>I highly recommend staying with Nikon flash, because none of
>the third party flashes are TOTALLY compatible with the very
>complex CLS. I predict that if you buy the Yongnuo now, you
>will buy a Nikon flash later, so you won't really save any
>money at all.
>
>Russ
>Nikonian Team Member
>http://russmacdonaldphotos.com">Russell
>MacDonald Photography
>>"http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com"]Nikon
>CLS Practical Guide

I totally agree Russ... made the mistake years ago and have stayed with Nikon CLS ever since... If your going to shoot TTL be sure to stay with Nikon. If price is an issue go re-furbished by Nikon. Three of my five 900's are re-furbished and have performed flawlessly over the past three years. As with your glass... Buy the best, it's a long term commitment! Good luck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

spyder08 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2012Thu 04-Jul-13 01:42 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 8

Kenosha, US

I went with the Yongnuo 565. Not using it as a professional or very often I could not justify the price of a sb910 or even a used sb800.
I shot a wedding reception with it and the results were very good.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 02-Jul-13 09:45 PM
8443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Robert:

Marty and Russ have given you excellent advice.

As one of the early users of Nikon's CLS/AWS technology, my initial "breeding pair" of SB800s, quickly grew to a herd of twelve. While shooting night shots with local law enforcement agencies over the last dozen years of so, I frequently used all twelve of them to capture a single image. While the CLS/AWS system takes a bit of study and practice to get into, you can do magic with it once you master it.

If you believe you may want to add a second, and third or more, speedlight to your portrait work, stick with the Nikon system. You won't regret it.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Rathvon Registered since 24th May 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 11:15 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 3

Herndon, US

Thank you for the advice. Due to my budget constraints right now, I am going to start with a manual flash (Yongnuo) and progress to NIkon flash. I am sure the learning process will better prepare me over the long haul. If I can master manual flash, imagine how well I will do with Nikon CLS!! I am currently working through the Strobist website.

Again, many thanks for your thoughts.

RM

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012Wed 03-Jul-13 04:01 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 4

Manitou Springs, US

If you can't afford the SB-910 you'd probably be better off going for an SB-700. The problem with the Yongnuo is that as you begin expanding your lighting capability with Nikon equipment the Yongnuo isn't going to be able to be part of the team.

Russ Lewis
www.FineArtSnaps.com
www.russ-lewis.com

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 03-Jul-13 07:55 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 4

Newburg, US

Strobist is a great site to learn about using flash creatively. I've spent much time on that site. I think it's also good to have a perspective on the time saving freedom the Nikon's CLS miracle can add to your photography. Joe McNally's books are very entertaining to read while introducing you to CLS. I recommend reading one. Manual is good - we should all know it. It can be fun to experiment with your flash; calculate, setup, shoot, adjust, shoot, adjust, shoot. Your subjects are rarely interested in your creative process and setup though, and they're rarely patient. CLS to the rescue...

Strobist will have you making some additional investment in equipment too. I'm suggesting you familiarize yourself with both approaches before you spend much more money on anything. Strobist and Nikon CLS are both about off camera flash. Eventually, you will want to go wireless. Look through Strobist to see the equipment you will eventually need to invest in when you want to go wireless with your manual flashes. The up-front savings start to erode.

Visit my gallery.

Rathvon Registered since 24th May 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 08:08 PM
#7. "RE: Looking for Flash Advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Herndon, US

Thank you

I have watched several of Joe McNally's videos (on Kelby Training) and read a few of his books. Having finally switched over my equipment to digital (yes, I am stubborn), I am being budget minded for a while. It was well worth the investment, but I am re-learning how to do things digitally.

The Nikon CLS system is, without doubt, the best going out there. Based upon the opinions here, and in my own experience, I have no doubt that having a Nikon flash would be the best option. Nevertheless, I am going to play with a new Yongnuo YN-560 II on the D7000 for a few weeks and get reacquainted with doing things manually. It might teach this old dog a few new tricks.

I will be glad to share my experiences for those that are interested.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61692 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.