Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61691
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-800" Search result list | Previous match | Next match
got2getitwright Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2013Tue 25-Jun-13 07:19 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-800"

US

My sb-800 is doing something very strange. There is a weird sound coming from the flash area. I can see what looks like some sliding doors opening and closing. It won't stop until I remove the batteries. Whats that all about. The display won't come on and no flash.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-800
MEMcD Moderator
25th Jun 2013
got2getitwright Silver Member
25th Jun 2013
HBB Moderator
25th Jun 2013
kaiser_soze Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
HBB Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
kaiser_soze Gold Member
03rd Jul 2013
HBB Moderator
03rd Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 25-Jun-13 09:22 PM
25548 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi EJ,

Could it be the Zoom motor moving the lens in and out?

Are you using fresh batteries?

Have you checked the voltage of each cell?

A single weak cell can cause the flash to malfunction or act strange.

Best Regards,
Marty

got2getitwright Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2013Tue 25-Jun-13 10:11 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yes, I tried fresh batteries. Also cleaned the contacts on the shoe as suggested earlier. Next is to send it in for repair before I tear it apart. I took the rubber caps cups off. Then decided to leave it be.

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 25-Jun-13 11:50 PM
8412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

EJ:

A few additional questions:

1) Is the SB800 on or off the camera when the noise occurs?

2) Have you tried the reset function described in the user manual?

3) Have you ever had batteries leak while in the SB800?

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

kaiser_soze Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2005Tue 02-Jul-13 02:38 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 3

Allison Park, US

I am not having the problem of the original poster, but I did once have batteries leak inside my SB800. What issue can arise from this and what is the fix?

I'm having a problem in that my SB800 keeps firing away on its own with every refresh. It's not on RPT mode. It will fire when I trigger the flash test button, and when I trigger it with a shutter release (both on hot shoe and wirelessly). It's functioning fine as a flash, but the repeated flashes when I'm doing something else are quite annoying.

Sorry to be off topic to the original poster.

Tony

Anthony D. Watson
-----
"Experience is something you don't get
until just after you need it." -Unknown

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 02-Jul-13 04:45 PM
8412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 02-Jul-13 04:49 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

Tony:

The first thing to check is the red eye feature that may have been turned on in the camera. As you know, the red eye function fires several short, low power SB800 pulses prior to shutter opening to cause the subject's iris to partially close, thus minimizing the red eye effect when the SB800 fires for image capture while the shuttter is open.

Does the SB800 fire by itself, without you anywhere near it? Both on and off-camera?

If the fluids from the leaking battery find their way into the internal circuitry, they can cause erratic operation or failure. Is this the SB800 that is now firing by itself?

Tell us a bit more about your camera/SB800 setup, and we can continue.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

kaiser_soze Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2005Wed 03-Jul-13 01:13 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 5

Allison Park, US

Thanks HBB.

Yes, it's the very same SB-800. The red-eye is off. It does fire whether I'm near the flash or not. It also does it whether it's in the hotshoe, or placed off-camera. It's a regular frequency of flashes, about 7 seconds apart. After some more playing around, it only seems to happen after I've fired a test flash with the red button on the back of the flash. Perhaps, the leakage affected this circuit.

In terms of my setup, I'm using a D300S, typically with the built-in flash as Commander and the SB-800 as a remote. I'm in Aperture priority with a 1/60s shutter speed, though there are times that I'll drag the shutter. The flash fires at front-curtain and without red-eye.

Now that I think of it, another quirk is that iTTL doesn't seem to be working correctly - the flash is not providing adequate illumination. This isn't that big of a deal, though, because I typically use manual mode on the flash.

Thanks again.

Tony

Anthony D. Watson
-----
"Experience is something you don't get
until just after you need it." -Unknown

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 03-Jul-13 01:52 AM
#7. "RE: SB-800"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Tony:

Thanks for the clarification, and a belated welcome to Nikonians. We appreciate your support.

Two suggestions:

1) Have you tried the reset function on page 12 of the SB800 user manual yet?

2) Also, there is a microprocessor reset process described on page 118 of the manual: Remove and replace the batteries while the SB800 is turned ON, which is contrary to instructions elsewhere in the manual.

If these do not work, it is time for a trip to Nikon. SB800s are no longer made, and used units are selling for more now than they cost new, so it is worth it to get a repair estimate before abandoning it.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61691Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.