nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61689
View in linear mode

Subject: "HyperSync feature with PW firmware update" Previous topic | Next topic
19US Silver Member  Robbinsville, US  Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008 Mon 24-Jun-13 10:09 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"

Curious if anyone has had any real world experience with their PW's after the latest firmware update? Claiming the HyperSync feature now lets photographer exceed the normal 1/250 shutter speed limit with flash.

Tom

Link to their press release here:

http://blog.pocketwizard.com/?p=6985#more-6985&utm_source=Lyris&utm_medium=eBlast&utm_campaign=PocketWizard+Newsletter+June+2013

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
26th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update Craig Bennett
26th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update 19US Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
27th Jun 2013
     Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update Diuk
02nd Jul 2013
          Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
02nd Jul 2013
               Reply message RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update Craig Bennett
08th Jul 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Wed 26-Jun-13 09:22 AM
8373 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 0

Tom, I have not had a chance to upgrade yet. It has always had that capability though. The new firmware has supposedly improved it. I won't have a chance to upgrade for a couple of weeks.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Craig Bennett   Rio Rancho, US  Registered since 29th Oct 2012 Wed 26-Jun-13 08:39 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 0

I updated yesterday, though I have been using their Beta firmware so I don't know if they made any major changes.

First, using PW FlexTT5/MiniTT1 and Speedlights, I notice no difference in operation between using Nikon's CLS and PocketWizard's ControlTL....so that's good.

Using the MiniTT1 to fire my Einstein E640 with PowerMC2, I had no luck hyper syncing at any power level less than 640WS. It worked okay at 640WS with no visible banding, but it does display a graduate and loss of exposure; with increasing loss as the shutter speed approached 1/8000 second.

The Einstein is a very fast strobe. In the past, I've had good success with my old Flashpoint 1200's monolights. They have a fairly long duration, which lends itself to high speed sync. I have not check these lights, but will today or tomorrow as time permits.

I truly believe FP mode is basically useless. It is not good for stop action (acts as a continuous light source), nor is it powerful enough to overcome the sun. Basically good for a little fill light on the subject if flash is close enough. I prefer using an ND filter and operate the flash in standard mode.

Regards,
Craig

19US Silver Member  Robbinsville, US  Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008 Thu 27-Jun-13 02:15 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks to you both. Haven't had the chance to try out the PW's since the firmware upgrade.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Thu 27-Jun-13 02:25 AM
8373 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 3

If you are using a speedlight and don't meet with success, put the flash(es) in manual full power mode. You had to do that with previous firmware and that is not documented that I know of.

I'm hoping the new firmware resolves that issue. It should know that when shooting at hyper sync speeds, full flash power is required.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Diuk   UK  Registered since 29th Jun 2013 Tue 02-Jul-13 10:36 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 02-Jul-13 10:38 AM by Diuk

Hi folks.

I assume this is a refinement rather than anything new from PW. Is this right?

I have a couple of questions that puzzle me here and I'd be grateful for help resolving them.

Does Hypersync work with the equipment I have? Currently D700 and SB-910? I know when I looked last year, the PW system didn't work with the 910. If It does work, does anyone have any experience of the types of shutter speeds you can use?

I'm a bit confused as to the use of ND filters. Surely they would also diminish the power of the flash so making this technique as limiting as FP mode?

Thank you for your help

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Tue 02-Jul-13 08:59 PM
27426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi Dee,

>I assume this is a refinement rather than anything new from
>PW. Is this right?

Refinements and compatibility up dates adding support for the D600 and D3200.

>Does Hypersync work with the equipment I have? Currently D700
>and SB-910? I know when I looked last year, the PW system
>didn't work with the 910.

The SB-910 and Speedlights in general have a short flash duration making them less useful for HyperSync mode.
The SB-910 is supported as both a remote and On-Camera Master.
This was done with a previous firmware update.

If It does work, does anyone have
>any experience of the types of shutter speeds you can use?

I don't have an SB-910.

>I'm a bit confused as to the use of ND filters. Surely they
>would also diminish the power of the flash so making this
>technique as limiting as FP mode?

Using an ND filter on the camera or gelling the strobes will allow you to use a larger aperture giving you more control over the DOF.
While using HyperSync mode will reduce the total flash power, an ND filter might be useful since you must have the strobe set at full power. In other words you can use ND filters instead of dialing down the flash power.

Best Regards,
Marty

Craig Bennett   Rio Rancho, US  Registered since 29th Oct 2012 Mon 08-Jul-13 01:50 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: HyperSync feature with PW firmware update"
In response to Reply # 6

I've done more tests with the new firmware from PocketWizard and my Einstein E640. I am getting very good results (E640 must be on Full Power) when setting the PW to Maximize Energy and disable FP/HSS.

I get clipping at the bottom of my frame at 1/8000, but good exposure quality on the non-clipped portion of the frame. Perhaps 10 times more power than one Speedlight operating in FP mode.

Mark Wallace produced a Webinar using the new firmware and he pointed out when shooting with the above settings and using AB lights, then the variant in exposure is a non-issue when shooting in portrait orientation. You just crop out the clipped portion. I agree with his thoughts.

I then thought, why not put the camera in DX mode (I own a D800e). When using the improved Hypersync, I am getting great exposures all the way up to 1/8000 shutter with no clipping! Have to compensate for loss of light with increased shutter speed (strobe is acting as a continuous light source), but at 14', full power at xsync speed I had f/22, at 1/8000 I was down to f/8. Not bad for 14' distance.

Color shift might be an issue, I plan to make additional measurements to see what this shift is, but a Speedlight operating in FP/HSS WB shifts as well.

I am very comfortable using the E640 in Hypersync mode for outside fill shots now. Still prefer to use ND filters. The only downside that someone pointed out about using ND filters is the lower light level in the viewfinder.

Regards,
Craig

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61689 Previous topic | Next topic