Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61679
View in linear mode

Subject: "nikon flash light" Previous topic | Next topic
jaydoc40 Gold Member Charter MemberSat 22-Jun-13 03:55 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"nikon flash light"

Kannur, Kerala state, IN

I need a reliable flash for d300s and d800. I am having SB600.It has served me for the last three years without any trouble. I am not happy with SB 800 and gave it away to a friend of mine. I hear that both SB 900 and later edition is not free of troubles. A reliable flash is needed for Nikons CLS. What I should buy?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 22-Jun-13 06:13 PM
26077 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: nikon flash light"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 24-Jun-13 01:20 AM by jrp

US

Hi Narikunni,

I have been using SB-800's since 2005 and found them to be extremely reliable.
In fact, I have never had a problem with any of my three copies and I use them significantly more than the average user.

I also have an SB-900 and have found it to be extremely reliable as well.

How do you plan on using the Speedlight?

Most of the complaints about the SB-900 and to a lesser degree the SB-910 have to do with the thermal shutdown feature. Speedlights were never designed to be used for sustained shooting at high power levels.

If you want to shoot full power dumps at the rate of 1 - 1.9 FPS all day, you should consider a Quantum Trio or a Q-flash T-5d-R and a Turbo 3 Battery. Other than shooting fast and hard, the Nikon SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, and SB-910 are more than reliable.

Best Regards,
Marty

jaydoc40 Gold Member Charter MemberSun 23-Jun-13 04:51 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: nikon flash light"
In response to Reply # 1

Kannur, Kerala state, IN

Thank you Marty for the valuable opinion. I am not a professional photographer. You can call me as serious one. My subjects are family members, Indian wedding and macro photography.I do not want any trouble during my photo exercises. My SB 800 gave lot of trouble. It goes on flashing all by itself during the session till I shut down the flash.I sent the flash to Nikon authorized centre in Delhi.They said except for soiled internal switching there nothing wrong with the flash. It was returned back to me plus a bill charges. When I started using the multiple strobonic flashes started coming back.So I decided to ask my nikonian friends for opinion.Call I go for SB700.Will it adapt to CLS in manual modes also?

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 24-Jun-13 09:27 AM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: nikon flash light"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Yes, I use the SB700 and Nikon's CLS with my cameras in the manual mode quite often. The SB700 is also easy to set up or change modes quickly.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 24-Jun-13 09:25 PM
26077 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: nikon flash light"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Narikunni,

>You can call me as serious one. My
>subjects are family members, Indian wedding and macro
>photography.I do not want any trouble during my photo
>exercises. My SB 800 gave lot of trouble. It goes on flashing
>all by itself during the session till I shut down the flash.I
>sent the flash to Nikon authorized centre in Delhi.They said
>except for soiled internal switching there nothing wrong with
>the flash. It was returned back to me plus a bill charges.

Strange problem:
If the Speedlight is not fully seated and locked in the hotshoe or the hotshoe is bent or has a loose fit it can cause the Speedlight to flash unexpectedly or sometimes not at all.

>.Call I go for SB700.Will it adapt to CLS in manual modes also?

The SB-700 has Commander mode built-in allowing you to control up to two remote groups via CLS Wireless flash control mode. With the remote units in Remote mode you can adjust the power ratio for the commander and each of the two remote groups from the camera position in either TTL or Manual flash control modes.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61679 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.