Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61655
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vivitar DF-583" Previous topic | Next topic
dperry23 Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Tue 11-Jun-13 05:20 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Vivitar DF-583"

US

I am looking to get speedlights on a budget. The Vivitar DF-583 looks like it might do the trick, but I not sure if I can use it off camera. Does it work wirelessly off camera with the Nikon trigger or with the Pocket Wizard Plus III?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 13-Jun-13 01:23 AM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vivitar DF-583"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Demetrius,

>Does it work wirelessly off camera
>with the Nikon trigger or with the Pocket Wizard Plus III?

The Vivitar DF-383 is not CLS wireless compatible.
It does have a simple optical slave built in to the unit.
To use the DF-383 with a PW Plus III you will require a PC to Hotshoe adaptor to connect the PW to the Flash unit since the DF-383 doesn't have a sync port built into it.

Best Regards,
Marty

SoCalBeans Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2008Mon 17-Jun-13 05:31 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vivitar DF-583"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Have you looked at the Yong Nuo or the Neewer TT560 lights? about $40. They actually will flash with the Nikon built in system, but I don't think you can get CLS with them - just manual.

I have two SBs and just got a Neewer in the last week. I also have some PW 2s and 3 flexs. My last shoot was with the sb 800 on manual - and that's my approach for the near future.

I think there is something to be said for using the smart flash (ETTL) and letting it expose your subject using its brain - and, if I was sold on that, I would go with Nikon lights (yes, they are expensive).

But, there is much to be said for using the flash units on manual in static exposure situations, (and that's what the PW2 units do), so why pay for the brain when you can get the light for 1/10 the price?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61655 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.