nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61651
View in linear mode

Subject: "LED instead of SPEEDLIGHT for BIRDS" Previous topic | Next topic
sshamilzadeh   New York, US  Registered since 16th Oct 2012 Wed 12-Jun-13 06:44 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LED instead of SPEEDLIGHT for BIRDS"
Wed 12-Jun-13 06:45 AM by sshamilzadeh

Has anyone used the current crop of LED Lights for bird photography?

I thought I would consider doing just that, but thought it actually might handicap in my getting any first shot. That is to say, wouldn't the LED light startle the sitting bird?

Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Chris Platt Silver Member  Newburg, US  Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:29 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LED instead of SPEEDLIGHT for BIRDS"
In response to Reply # 0

Is there a specific light you have in mind? Typically, birds can be shy or startled by anything new in their environment, but then get used to it. If you're talking about an LED light that is constantly on, they are apt to scatter at first and then return if you're close to a feeding location. Different types of birds react differently. It may even be preferable to flash depending on the lighting effects you're trying to achieve.

Visit my gallery.

sshamilzadeh   New York, US  Registered since 16th Oct 2012 Tue 18-Jun-13 04:10 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LED instead of SPEEDLIGHT for BIRDS"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, I meant that the LED would be constantly on.
Certainly I would be constrained to its use if it would
startle and make my subject fly away. With a continuous light source,
much like a modelling light, I would be able to easily fill in shadows.
Not sure how the birders would feel about it or me--that's another subject.

mkbee1 Silver Member  West Valley, US  Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012 Tue 18-Jun-13 04:38 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LED instead of SPEEDLIGHT for BIRDS"
In response to Reply # 2

My thoughts are...LEDS are very nice, but probaby not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, and may not have the power or range you need for birding. Quite a few accomplished bird photogs use a BIG tele lens with a flash extender on a powerful flash.

If you have a blind and feeder set up at a fixed location, perhaps it would be a good thing. Let us know how it works.

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Tacoma, US  Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006 Tue 18-Jun-13 06:25 PM
6401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LED instead of SPEEDLIGHT for BIRDS"
In response to Reply # 0

Part of the reason to use a flash it to set your camera so that the short flash duration freezes the action, if that is the effect that you want.

Of course this assumes that the bird is withing the effective range of any artificial light.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61651 Previous topic | Next topic