Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61633
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-910 fell in pond" Previous topic | Next topic
mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Mon 10-Jun-13 02:53 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-910 fell in pond"

Windsor, CA

This past weekend I did a wedding and my SB-910 fell in a pond, It was completely submersed for at least 10 seconds. I took it out, switched it off and took out the batteries. I put it back in the case for the remainder of the wedding which lasted another 4 hours, once home I put the flash in a container and filled the container with white rice.

I am too scared to open it up by removing any screws and maybe doing more damage to it (like I did with my iPhone)

Has anybody ever dropped their flash in the water ? is there a chance it will ever work again ?
Is it worth sending it to Nikon ?
Should I just go out and buy a new flash and hope that in a month from now it will be completely dried out and might turn on and work the way it used to ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-910 fell in pond
MEMcD Moderator
10th Jun 2013
Asgard Administrator
10th Jun 2013
mrpenguin Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
Arkayem Moderator
11th Jun 2013
mrpenguin Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
11th Jun 2013
mrpenguin Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
elec164 Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
Craig Bennett
26th Jun 2013
mrpenguin Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
27th Jun 2013
Craig Bennett
11th Jul 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
11th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 08:10 PM
26101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jaques,

Sorry to hear of the accident.
There is always a chance that it might work after drying out completely so don't give up hope.
If it doesn't send it in to Nikon Service or a Nikon Authorized Service Station and get an estimate for the repair. Then decide for yourself. I would suspect that it will be cheaper to repair than replace, though that depends on the damage.

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 10-Jun-13 09:57 PM
51178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

10 seconds... I think there is a good chance it will work again.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 12:31 AM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 11-Jun-13 12:32 AM by mrpenguin

Windsor, CA

well the good thing is that i dont see any water inside the LCD screen, only two very small drops inside the actual flash head behind the plastic where the flash tube is.

At over $500 for the top of the line Nikon flash you would think they build some water tight features into it ... I hope

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 09:40 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 11-Jun-13 01:45 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

Cell phones frequently find their way into puddles.

There are many testimonials for submerging a wet cell phone in a bowl of uncooked rice for 1-2 days, the rice being a natural desiccant.

Even better pick up a few silica gel desiccant packs at your local hardware and put them in a zip lock bag with the flash.

Edit: While a hair dryer used gently can be useful if the unit is opened up it is not a good idea to blow on a closed unit as this can force water further into the unit.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 11-Jun-13 01:20 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>This past weekend I did a wedding and my SB-910 fell in a
>pond, It was completely submersed for at least 10 seconds. I
>took it out, switched it off and took out the batteries. I put
>it back in the case for the remainder of the wedding which
>lasted another 4 hours, once home I put the flash in a
>container and filled the container with white rice.
>
>I am too scared to open it up by removing any screws and maybe
>doing more damage to it (like I did with my iPhone)
>
>Has anybody ever dropped their flash in the water ? is there a
>chance it will ever work again ?
>Is it worth sending it to Nikon ?
>Should I just go out and buy a new flash and hope that in a
>month from now it will be completely dried out and might turn
>on and work the way it used to ?
>
>

The main rule when any piece of electronic equipment gets wet is: Don't turn it on until it is completely dry again.

If you haven't turned it on, you can wait until it is completely dried out, and it will likely work again. If you can figure out how to open it, you can use a hair dryer to dry it more quickly.

If one of the circuit boards got wet, and you tried to turn it on, there is a fairly high chance that one of the integrated circuits blew out. It takes very little current to destroy an IC and the water will conduct current to pins that were not designed for it.

I know how sick you feel after an accident like that! I've done many of those myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 02:24 PM
#6. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 5

Windsor, CA

Thanks guys

So far I have not turned it on .... although it was on when it fell in the pond.

I found a video on youtube on how to open it up but I am a little scared to try and do that for just in case I break something without even knowing it.

I heard somebody say to emerge the flash in 1005 alcohol because the alcohol will take away the water and the alcohol will evaporate after a short wile by itself leaving the flash dry as a bone.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 02:55 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 6

Kleinburg, CA

There is a possibility that Isopropyl Alcohol could be a solvent for some of the plastic parts or adhesives used in the flash.

Barry

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 07:53 PM
#8. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 7

Windsor, CA

>
>There is a possibility that Isopropyl Alcohol could be a
>solvent for some of the plastic parts or adhesives used in the
>flash.
>
>Barry
>http://art2printimages.com
>
>

Good point !

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 13-Jun-13 05:08 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 13-Jun-13 05:10 AM by jeffcs

egg harbor twp, US

If the pond was freash water no salt water or water with other corosiv properties and its been in rice for a month and is it the same rice you should change the rice out about every few days so
Non salt water
Rice changed often
Go turn it on
At worse it needs some tlc from Nikon as it was enegerzied when it got wet

Good luck

Jeff s

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 13-Jun-13 01:12 PM
773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 9

Port Charlotte, US

The unfortunate issues is that the unit was turned on when it hit the water. The majority of damage (if any) would have occurred while the circuits were active.

The good news is that many circuit boards have a conformal coating to protect against moisture, fungus, corrosion, thermal shock, etc. It's not a guarantee, but in many cases saves the electronics.

As previously suggested, make sure to give it enough time to dry and the odds are in your favor that it's still operational.

Good luck.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 13-Jun-13 05:22 PM
2094 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 13-Jun-13 05:23 PM by elec164

US

>>
>>There is a possibility that Isopropyl Alcohol could be a
>>solvent for some of the plastic parts or adhesives used in
>the
>>flash.
>>
>>Barry
>>http://art2printimages.com
>>
>>
>
>Good point !

I'm no expert, but many years ago when in high school I worked in an electronic repair shop and used elctronic grade Isopropyl all the time with no appearent ill affect to plastics or circuit boards. Whether there are any adhesives inside the speedlight that would be dissolvable with alcohol would be a good question for concern, but probably doubtful.

Trouble is that the typical alcohol you get at the drug store is not as pure and contains water.

Water in and of itself is not a conductor of electricity. Problem is you rarely find pure water with no dissolved solids. So question is, even though the unit was on when it submerged in the pond, depending on the amount and type of dissolved solids content will determine if it may or may not have shorted anything out.

Pete

Pete

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Thu 13-Jun-13 07:53 PM
#12. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 13-Jun-13 07:54 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

>
>I'm no expert, but many years ago when in high school I worked
>in an electronic repair shop and used elctronic grade
>Isopropyl all the time with no appearent ill affect to
>plastics or circuit boards. Whether there are any adhesives
>inside the speedlight that would be dissolvable with alcohol
>would be a good question for concern, but probably doubtful.
>
Isopropyl alcohol will not dissolve too many plastics – one it does though is ethyl cellulose which can be used in plastic cases for electronics.

>
>Trouble is that the typical alcohol you get at the drug store
>is not as pure and contains water.
>
It always contains some water as it is hydroscopic. I believe Walmart carries 94%. 99% is harder to find and has a short shelf life once opened.

Barry

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012Wed 26-Jun-13 08:02 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 0

Rio Rancho, US

Have you tried your flash? Status please!

Regards,
Craig

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Thu 27-Jun-13 06:14 PM
#14. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 13

Windsor, CA

I am happy to announce that after almost 2 weeks in a bag of rice I switched the flash on and it worked.
It does not make the same sound as my other SB910 when i switch it on but it works, I used it at a wedding this past weekend and I had no issues with it as far as I could tell.

It was used as off camera flash during the reception and as far as i could tell it fired every time.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 27-Jun-13 06:43 PM
26101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Jaques,

Glad to hear your SB-910 survived the swim none the worse for wear!
Thanks for the follow up.

Best Regards,
Marty

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012Thu 11-Jul-13 05:00 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"

Rio Rancho, US

Excellent! Glad it works!

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 11-Jul-13 10:32 PM
1163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: SB-910 fell in pond"

US

Glad to hear that your flash is back in business. i delt with many cell phones and headsets that has been submerged, most of the are turning on and functioning after drying, but microphones go bad. the same is true for buzzers and speakers. I think that why your flash does not make sound anymore, but as long as everything else is working - it's a very small price to pay in your situation.

Best regards,
Vlad

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61633 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.