Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61632
View in linear mode

Subject: "radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees" Previous topic | Next topic
nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 10-Jun-13 01:26 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees"

US

I'm looking for a radio flash trigger that is compatible with Nikon's i-ttl metering system and can also be used to control the power output of my Alienbee's.

I've been doing online research, and have only ended up being more confused by the many choices. Some do one thing, others another. Some are expensive, some are cheap. Others have good reviews, some bad.

I trust the opinions offered on these forums, so what do you think?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain - Freemason

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees
MEMcD Moderator
10th Jun 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
11th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
12th Jun 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 07:49 PM
25648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

The Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 combined with an AC3 Zone Controller and a AC9 AlienBees Adaptor for each strobe is what you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Marty

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 04:31 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Alamos, US

Marty,
this seams a rather expensive choice ($500+).
Is there anything cheaper?
What are the differences between the different systems?
Thanks!
Vitaliy

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 11:34 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Alamos, US

Did anyone try Pixel Opas radio transivers?
They seam to be much more affordable, around $70 each.
For 3 units you would pay 1/3 of the price. What would one lose by doing so?

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 11-Jun-13 11:47 PM
8053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 12-Jun-13 07:06 AM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

You will lose iTTL/CLS/CTL control. Every flash's power level would have to be adjusted manually on the flash.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 12-Jun-13 12:46 AM
25648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: radio trigger+i-ttl+alienbees"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 12-Jun-13 10:29 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Vitaliy,

While I have seen other i-TTL capable RF triggers advertised I have never tried them. I don't remember any other unit with i-TTL capability being able to adjust the power output of AlienBee strobes other than the PW MiniTT1 and FlexTT5.

I have been using Manual Pocket Wizard Multimax Transceivers for years, so when the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 were introduced for Nikon I added them to my kit. My PW system has worked very well for me, even when shooting events where multiple shooters were using their own PW Transceivers. When setting up, just get together with the others to make sure that everyone is using a different channel or channels.
The fact that they can be used with my existing PW system gives me even more flexibility.

The PW system works very well if you want both i-TTL and manual flash control.

If you have Paul Buff strobes (Einstein, White Lightning, or Alien Bees) and don't need RF i-TTL capability, the Paul Buff Cyber Sync system is significantly cheaper and with the Cyber Commander will allow you to adjust the power output of up to 16 PB strobes individually from the camera position.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61632 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.