nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61616
View in linear mode

Subject: "PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?" Previous topic | Next topic
AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Fri 07-Jun-13 07:19 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"

Tempe, US

I think I jumped the gun and made a purchase chasing functionality that I did not have enough information for. I purchased a used Sekonic L-358 Flashmaster with a RT-32 module to fire PW units. I also purchased several PW PlusX units. Am I correct that the L-358 w/RT-32 will not fire the PlusX units? I ask because I could not fire a SB-900 hooked up to a PlusX with the L-358 but could fire it by using another PlusX unit. The channel indicaters were all on channel 1. I did discover that the dip switches (1 & 2) were in the off position but I am not at home to retest. I have come across some reading info that I am assuming that it is indicating that the L-358 w/RT-32 is not compatible with the PlusX PW. Can anyone help clarify? Thank you in advance.

Allen

Does it hurt when shot by a Nikon?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
07th Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
08th Jun 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
08th Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
08th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
10th Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
13th Jun 2013

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 07-Jun-13 10:47 PM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 07-Jun-13 10:49 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

Allen:

I do not own the Sekonic l-358 or the PW Plus X units. My meter is the Sekonic L758DR and I have a mixture of 13 PW PLus II and MultiMax units. I can use all 32 of the available channels with the Sekoonic and PW units. Ergo, I am guessing a bit.

1) I understand that the PW PlusX can use any of the first ten of the PW channel frequencies.

2) Which unit (PW or Sekonic) has the dip switches you mention? Where are they located, and what are they used for? I am not familiar with them.

3) Are you sure the RT-32 module in the Sekonic is the one for the US Frequency set? The transmitter module in my Sekonic L758DR indicates: "RT-32FCC Module". What does yours say? There are three different frequency sets in use globally, and they are not compatible.

4) I assume that you have set all PW channels and the L358 channels to the same number for your initial tests, correct?

Tell us a bit more, and we can continue.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Sat 08-Jun-13 01:36 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tempe, US

>Allen:
>
>I do not own the Sekonic l-358 or the PW Plus X units. My
>meter is the Sekonic L758DR and I have a mixture of 13 PW PLus
>II and MultiMax units. I can use all 32 of the available
>channels with the Sekoonic and PW units. Ergo, I am guessing
>a bit.
>
>1) I understand that the PW PlusX can use any of the first ten
>of the PW channel frequencies.
>
>2) Which unit (PW or Sekonic) has the dip switches you
>mention? Where are they located, and what are they used for?
>I am not familiar with them.
>
>3) Are you sure the RT-32 module in the Sekonic is the one for
>the US Frequency set? The transmitter module in my Sekonic
>L758DR indicates: "RT-32FCC Module". What
>does yours say? There are three different frequency sets in
>use globally, and they are not compatible.
>
>4) I assume that you have set all PW channels and the L358
>channels to the same number for your initial tests, correct?
>
>Tell us a bit more, and we can continue.
>
>Regards,
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
>Nikonian Team Member
>
> Photography is
>a journey with no conceivable destination.

HBB,

Thanks for responding. The RT-32 module in the L-358 does not have a label so I can't readly tell which version it is (FCC / CE). The dip switches are in the battery compartment on the back of the L-358 meter. I did set the meter and PlusX units to channel 1. I will perform another test tonight after setting the dip switches that relate to PW interaction in the "ON" position and report back.

Allen

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 08-Jun-13 02:23 AM
8247 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

Hal is right, you need to verify that the wireless module is the correct one. The dip switches are really irrelevant, I believe.

Switch one enables EV metering in ambient mode. Switch two enable multi flash mode and I set both of these switches to on. The third and fourth switches are a binary configuration which determines wether the meter resolves to full stop, half stop, or third stop readings.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Sat 08-Jun-13 04:01 AM
#4. "RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tempe, US

Hal & Scott,

All is well. I have to chalk it all up to user error. I set the channel on the L-358 but failed to return the meter to metering mode. I did that tonight and it worked with the L-358 triggering the PlusX unit hooked up to my SB-900 in manual mode. Next I need to pickup a couple of pc hot shoe adapters for my two SB-600's. Any recommendations? I truly appreciate the responses from the both of you. Thank you.

Allen

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 05:48 AM
26985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Allen,

Check out www.flashzebra.com .

Best Regards,
Marty

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Thu 13-Jun-13 09:53 PM
#6. "RE: PW PlusX & Sekonic L-358 - Wrong Purchase?"
In response to Reply # 5

Tempe, US

Marty,

Thanks

Allen

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61616 Previous topic | Next topic