Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61594
View in linear mode

Subject: "Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780" Previous topic | Next topic
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Tue 04-Jun-13 06:34 PM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780"

Anchorage, US

I was poking around in some boxes and came across my old Strobonar 780 and got to thinking about the days of yore when I used it with my F body and later with my FE and FE2.

I purchased the 780 to be able to shoot a friend's wedding with the F in Ektachrome. The F did not have the meter housing so I had been shooting with the "sunny 16" rule and doing fairly well but I was going to need light for a wedding shoot.

I shot the whole wedding with the F, a 50mm f/1.4, and the 780. I know some of you are rolling your eyes and gasping in disbelief but it was the 70's, we were more relaxed, and it was not a paying gig. And the couple loved the photos.

The university newspaper had one of these monsters that we used to shoot Big 10 basketball and other sports as well.

So, to finally make my way around to the point of this post, I have decided to put new rechargeable cells in the head and round up a new PC sync cord. I will be able to use it with my film bodies and if the trigger voltage is within limits, I may use it with my digital bodies as well.

I have not found any info on the trigger voltage for the 780 so I will have to do my own measurements.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Indigo586 Registered since 25th Jan 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 11:12 PM
427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780"
In response to Reply # 0

US

While making a new sync cord may be you can make a low voltage sync cord as well. I don't think you would need much part to convert the high voltage to low voltage.

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Wed 05-Jun-13 02:43 AM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780"
In response to Reply # 1

Anchorage, US

Without a battery pack installed and running off the A/C adapter, I am reading 165VDC at the sync terminals.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 05-Jun-13 09:38 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 05-Jun-13 09:40 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Nikon told me that the max. sync voltage for my D50 was 250 V. I presume other Nikons are similar, but a resistor in the curcuit might be a good idea.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Thu 06-Jun-13 06:36 PM
#4. "RE: Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780"
In response to Reply # 3

Anchorage, US

That's what the manuals for all my bodies lists as well. But I think to be safe I will use a Wein Safe Sync in the mix.
Found a place in town that has 1.2v 3000mAh NiMH cells that will fit to replace the old NiCads.
Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61594 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.