nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Refurbishing Honeywell Strobonar Auto 780

2pixels_short

Anchorage, US
892 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003
Tue 04-Jun-13 06:34 PM

I was poking around in some boxes and came across my old Strobonar 780 and got to thinking about the days of yore when I used it with my F body and later with my FE and FE2.

I purchased the 780 to be able to shoot a friend's wedding with the F in Ektachrome. The F did not have the meter housing so I had been shooting with the "sunny 16" rule and doing fairly well but I was going to need light for a wedding shoot.

I shot the whole wedding with the F, a 50mm f/1.4, and the 780. I know some of you are rolling your eyes and gasping in disbelief but it was the 70's, we were more relaxed, and it was not a paying gig. And the couple loved the photos.

The university newspaper had one of these monsters that we used to shoot Big 10 basketball and other sports as well.

So, to finally make my way around to the point of this post, I have decided to put new rechargeable cells in the head and round up a new PC sync cord. I will be able to use it with my film bodies and if the trigger voltage is within limits, I may use it with my digital bodies as well.

I have not found any info on the trigger voltage for the 780 so I will have to do my own measurements.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

G