Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61579
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Pocket Wizard System??" Previous topic | Next topic
AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Sat 01-Jun-13 10:09 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Pocket Wizard System??"

Tempe, US

Hello All,

I'd like to put together a Pocket Wizard system for my Nikon Speedlights (SB-900, SB-600 x2) to be used with either of D100, D300 and D2X bodies. I've tried researching but have become a little confused as to what I need. I want to use the system for portrait, product and any other type photography that gives opportunity. Can anyone help me understand what I need? An answer will help me to determine my budget. Thank you in advance.

Allen

Does it hurt when shot by a Nikon?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
Isonychia
01st Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
10th Jun 2013
DinoCardelli
09th Jun 2013
2pixels_short Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
rickdayton Silver Member
12th Jun 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 01-Jun-13 11:06 PM
8202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 02-Jun-13 12:58 AM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

Hi Allen,

That depends on what you expect from the system and can afford. The Plus III units will give you full manual control and are compatible with your D100.

The Mini/Flex CTL radios mimic CLS but are not compatible with your D100. The SB900 can act as a commander and the SB600s must be used as remotes.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Tue 04-Jun-13 02:11 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 1

Tempe, US

Scott - Thank you for the response. Based on other responses I may opt for the PlusX system due to a limited budget.

Isonychia Registered since 19th Apr 2009Sat 01-Jun-13 11:33 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 0

Huntington, WV, US

If you have the budget (and you don't mind leaving your D100 on the bench while the D300 and D2X get all the action), I heartily recommend the Flex TT5s. I use them with two SB-800s and an SB-600. The AC3 Zone Controller would allow you to control the flashes from the top of the camera without having to run back and forth between light stands, and the Sekonic L-358 with the RT-32CTL radio would allow you to meter the flashes without fumbling with a sync cord.

It's a pricey setup, but it's so very fast, convenient and easy to use.

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Tue 04-Jun-13 02:05 AM
#5. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 2

Tempe, US

Isonychia - I would not have a problem with not using the D100 for this system. In fact I may use it as a loaner for some young adults at my church who are interested in photography. However the Flex and AC3 system is outside of my current budget so I may have to add them to a wishlist. Thanks for the response.

Allen

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 02-Jun-13 09:57 PM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Allen,

The PlusX (10 Channels) are the least expensive but very capable Manual PW triggers.

The Plus III Transcievers (32 Channels + Quad Triggering) are the mid-line Manual PW triggers. If you shoot where there are multiple photographers using PW's the additional channels will prevent interferance issues. The Quad Triggering zones will allow you to use each Speedlight or Strobe independantly or together just by activating or deactivating a zone (A,B,C,or D).

The Mini-TT1 and 3 Flex-TT5's will provide TTL flash control, Manual flash control with the ability to adjust the power level of up to three remote groups of Speedlights or Strobes (with the appropriate module) from the camera position via an AC3 Zone Controller or a SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or SU-800 in the On Camera Mini-TT1 or Flex-TT5 (SB-700 will proved control of up to 2 remote groups). They also provide HyperSync capablility.

The MultiMax Transcievers (32 Channels + Quad Triggering) are the most versatile of the Manual PW's with many functions including the ability to vari the trigger contact time. Counter, Intervalometer, Multipop, Speed Cycler mode, Camera Equalization, etc..... Also the most expensive.

The Plus II's (4 channels) have been discontinued and have similar capablity to the PlusX units.

Best Regards,
Marty

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Tue 04-Jun-13 01:59 AM
#4. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 3

Tempe, US

>Hi Allen,
>
>The PlusX (10 Channels) are the least expensive but very
>capable Manual PW triggers.
>
>The Plus III Transcievers (32 Channels + Quad Triggering) are
>the mid-line Manual PW triggers. If you shoot where there are
>multiple photographers using PW's the additional channels will
>prevent interferance issues. The Quad Triggering zones will
>allow you to use each Speedlight or Strobe independantly or
>together just by activating or deactivating a zone (A,B,C,or
>D).
>
>The Mini-TT1 and 3 Flex-TT5's will provide TTL flash control,
>Manual flash control with the ability to adjust the power
>level of up to three remote groups of Speedlights or Strobes
>(with the appropriate module) from the camera position via an
>AC3 Zone Controller or a SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or SU-800 in
>the On Camera Mini-TT1 or Flex-TT5 (SB-700 will proved control
>of up to 2 remote groups). They also provide HyperSync
>capablility.
>
>The MultiMax Transcievers (32 Channels + Quad Triggering) are
>the most versatile of the Manual PW's with many functions
>including the ability to vari the trigger contact time.
>Counter, Intervalometer, Multipop, Speed Cycler mode, Camera
>Equalization, etc..... Also the most expensive.
>
>The Plus II's (4 channels) have been discontinued and have
>similar capablity to the PlusX units.

Marty - The PlusX looks to be more in line with my current budget. Would I need a PlusX unit for the camera body and one for each speedlight?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 12:25 AM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Allan,

Yes.

Best Regards,
Marty

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Sun 09-Jun-13 01:23 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 3

Plantation, US

The Mini-TT1 and 3 Flex-TT5's will provide TTL flash control, Manual flash control with the ability to adjust the power level of up to three remote groups of Speedlights or Strobes (with the appropriate module) from the camera position via an AC3 Zone Controller or a SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or SU-800 in the On Camera Mini-TT1 or Flex-TT5 (SB-700 will proved control of up to 2 remote groups). They also provide HyperSync capablility.

ditto !!!

Best investment I've made....I also use the AC9 adapter for my AlienBees and I can combo SB900's with the AB's..

I have 4 TT5's with the mini TT1 and AC3.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Tue 04-Jun-13 07:11 PM
887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

Put me down for the FlexTT5 units. I have four plus a cable that permits the Flex to fire the camera. I use the SU-800 as the commander.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

rickdayton Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 11:09 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which Pocket Wizard System??"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsburgh, US

I have tried a number of different options, but the Flex TT-5 and AC-3 are the gold standard. I know they cost more money, but I bought all three units that I own used -- and even though they look just like new, I paid less than half of retail. You can get deals on them if you are patient. You won't be disappointed.

Rick

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61579 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.