Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61578
View in linear mode

Subject: "r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables" Previous topic | Next topic
mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sat 01-Jun-13 07:11 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables"
Sat 01-Jun-13 07:56 PM by mathjak107

bayside queens, US

tried the rechargeable tenergy today for the first time. it was over 90 degrees today so that may have influenced things but the tenergy were shutting the sbr-200's down
after only 2 shots.

after things reset i put the regular cr123a back in each one and i could fire away.

i guess the tenergy charger causes them to have a higher voltage and the flashes don't like it.

perhaps if it was a cooler day it would not have been an issue but i am not going to use the rechargeables.

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/browse

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables
mathjak107
02nd Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jun 2013
mathjak107
03rd Jun 2013
mklass Platinum Member
03rd Jun 2013
mathjak107
03rd Jun 2013

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sun 02-Jun-13 09:47 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 02-Jun-13 11:01 AM by mathjak107

bayside queens, US

interesting enough after we got home and out of the heat i tried the rechargeables again.

got off 6 shots and both sides went into protection mode.

since these are brand new sbr-200's i wonder if nikon has made them even more sensitive to over voltage shut down.

no issues at all with disposable cr123a.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 02-Jun-13 09:25 PM
26147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Matt,

I have been using Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V (900mAh) Li-ion batteries (light blue with a narrow dark blue band at the negitive terminal end) with my SU-800 and SB-R200's for several years and have not had that problem. That said, I can't remember using them when the ambient temperature was 90 degrees or higher.

There are two types of Tenergy RCR123A\'s available. Mine look a little different that either one shown.

Best Regards,
Marty

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Mon 03-Jun-13 12:15 AM
#3. "RE: r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables"
In response to Reply # 2

bayside queens, US

I tried them indoors this morning with cooler temps.

The same two out of the 4 shut down with rechargeables. It shows tolerance on the protection circuit varys from unit to unit.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 03-Jun-13 12:52 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Which Tenergy CR123s do you have?

My experience is the same as Brian's: no problem with my 3 SB-200's or the SU-800 and the Blue/White Tenergy 900mAh batteries.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Mon 03-Jun-13 10:16 PM
#5. "RE: r1c1 shuts down with tenergy rechargeables"
In response to Reply # 4

bayside queens, US

blue and white tenergy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61578 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.