Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61528
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB 910 VS SB 700" Previous topic | Next topic
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Mon 20-May-13 09:45 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB 910 VS SB 700"

Fort Kent, CA

I'm thinking of getting a second flash for my D5100.

I have an SB700 and it works grand.
The D5100 does not have the CLS Command system built in but if I put the SB700 or SB910 onto the camera I understand all the features of the CLS will work and the on camera flash will also control the off camera flash through a remote hook up.

Right now I can fire the SB700 using the remote feature and the on camera flash but I don't think there is any automatic light controls, it just fires as a slave unit. This works fine most times.

So my question is whether there is a $140 improvement in the 910 over the 700? I know that it is a little more powerful and I suppose that might come in handy in some situation. How many more meters of light would I be getting?. Any other benefit or is the 910 the same flash with a little more umph?

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 20-May-13 10:24 PM
25643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB 910 VS SB 700"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

The SB-910 has a Guide Number of 13m/42.7ft. (1/1 14mm WP +BA), 51m/165.7ft. (1/1 120mm), and 53m/173.9 ft. (1/1 200mm)
Compared to the SB-700: 10m/32.8ft. (1/1 14mm WP +BA), 38m/124.7ft. (1/1 120mm). The maximum zoom setting is 120mm compared to the SB-910's 200mm max.
The SB-910 has more power, and will recycle faster (2.3 sec.) with NiMh compared to (2.5 sec.) SB-700.

The SB-910 can control up to three Groups of remote Speedlights compared to the SB-700 that can up to two Groups.

The SB-910 is a little larger and heavier than the SB-700.

Personally I would rather have the extra power and not need it than need the extra power of the SB-910 and not have it.

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 20-May-13 11:45 PM
8053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB 910 VS SB 700"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

David,

Marty is spot on. It's definitely a case where you should buy the best that you can and not be desiring to replace it later. I have one SB800 and three SB900s and maybe an SB910 will be added this autumn.

The extra power is also useful in multiple light setups when you most likely will be shooting through modifiers. Get the SB910.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61528 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.