Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #615
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?" Previous topic | Next topic
Roxanne Basic MemberWed 21-Nov-01 09:07 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"

Hi, I'm looking for a flash for my N80. I'm mainly going to use it for indoor shots- nothing where I'd need too much power like for sports or anything.

I was just wondering if I could use an SB-24 or SB-50DX on an N80 since the N80 System Information fold-out sheet that came with my camera doesn't mention either one. It only mentions the SB28, 27, 23, 22s, and 16.

If I can't use either one, then which one of those listed above should I get? I'm looking for something affordable- $150ish?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?
vchong
21st Nov 2001
Roxanne
22nd Nov 2001
jrp Administrator
22nd Nov 2001
jrp Administrator
21st Nov 2001
vchong
22nd Nov 2001
ozgooner
22nd Nov 2001
Reply message SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?
Roxanne
26th Nov 2001
jrp Administrator
26th Nov 2001

vchong Basic MemberWed 21-Nov-01 10:24 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

>I was just wondering if I
>could use an SB-24 or
>SB-50DX on an N80 since
>the N80 System Information fold-out
>sheet that came with my

The SB-50DX is the newest Nikon flash and would appear to be designed with the F80 in mind. One of the most novel features of the SB-50DX is its ability to work in conjunction with the F80's built-in speedlight, giving a higher guide number. This feature also works with the F70, but with some limitations.

Anyway, if you're looking for a cheap flash with moderate power, the SB-50DX may be your ticket. I'm sure other people will pipe up and give you other excellent suggestions from Sunpak, Metz, etc. Choose wisely!

Victor

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

Roxanne Basic MemberThu 22-Nov-01 01:37 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 1

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-01 AT 04:58 AM (GMT)

Thanks! I said I wasn't going to shoot sports- just pictures/portraits inside. In that case, what's better between the SB-24 or SB-50DX?

Sorry for the misunderstanding

*edited*

I just noticed that the 50DX also takes 123 batteries while the sb-24 takes AA. I'll take that into consideration. I think I'll go with the sb-24. Thanks everyone!

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 22-Nov-01 03:02 AM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 5

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Sorry Roxanne:
I misread "interior shots" for "interior sports".
Dislexia + tired + age.
Nevertheless ... SB-24.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 21-Nov-01 10:26 PM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 0

You will be amazed of just how much punch of a Guide Number you need "just for indoor sports". A brand new SB-28 has a GN of 118 for ISO 100, rendering apertures of f/11 at 10 feet, but only f/5.6 at 20 feet and f/3.5 at 30 feet. Therefore the SB-50DX is out of the question for such purpose.
I would get a SB-24, 25, 26, 27 or 28 (about the same GN) for the task.
You may find here the price references for used units at keh.com
Have a great time

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

vchong Basic MemberThu 22-Nov-01 12:57 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 2

Victoria, CA

So there you have it. JRP has spoken. Buy the SB24!

Victor

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

ozgooner Basic MemberThu 22-Nov-01 01:25 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canberra, AU

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-01 AT 03:45 AM (GMT)

I bought a used SB-24 for my F80 for about US$190 and am exceptionally happy with it, including images of Masai warriors dancing by moonlight on our recent safari. I had nothing to focus on as it was so dark, but just set F80 and flash to full auto and almost every frame is exposed perfectly.

http://www.tasm.net/photo/mara/masai.jpg

If you can find a unit like this I am sure you'll find it up to your needs.

Cheers,
Trev M - Nikonian Down Under

Roxanne Basic MemberMon 26-Nov-01 01:15 AM
#7. "SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 4

Took the advice and went with the SB-24. I should have it by the end of the week.

Thanks again!

Roxanne

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 26-Nov-01 01:36 AM
#8. "RE: SB-24 or SB-50DX on N80?"
In response to Reply # 7

Roxanne:
Let us know how you liked it. Bo has one and will not let go.
Have a great time

Have a great time

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #615 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.