nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Guide Number vs ISO vs Duration

grnzbra

Springfield, US
393 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011
Wed 15-May-13 02:26 PM

I have been shooting small birds flying across a three foot gap between a bush and a feeder. In order to freeze the wings, the shutter is set to 1/4000 sec, which then requires an ISO of 4000 in bright sunlight. However, at this time of year, the gap is in shadow at the time when the birds are most actively feeding. So I was hoping I could do something with an SB-700.

According to a review of the SB-700, it has a guide number of 92 at ISO 100 and a flash duration as short as 1/10000 second at a manual setting of 128 and a duration of 1/5000 second somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range.

So far, my cut-and_try efforts have not resulted in the freezing of the wings, which I assume is due to the shutter now limited to 1/200 second (I'm using a D-5100).

Is there any way to calculate where the guide number would go with a change in flash duration and ISO setting?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Guide Number vs ISO vs Duration

G