Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61453
View in linear mode

Subject: "Multiple on camera flash solution needed" Previous topic | Next topic
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 08:04 PM
8216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Multiple on camera flash solution needed"

Powder Springs, US

I am trying to improve a setup from which I photograph high school marching bands on risers. The issues typically encountered are inclement weather, battery drain, and students swarming my equipment when they leave the risers.

My set up and issues are as follows:

1. Two light stands with Sunpak 120J flashes, PocketWizard Plus receivers, and Quantum Turbo SC batteries. The stands are 24 feet apart and get swarmed on occasion by departing students, hence the need for inexpensive flash units. The flash units fire a full power all the time, twice every 15 to 20 minutes. Even though they only fire 54 times per day, the batteries drain from keeping the capacitors charged.

2. One SB800 on camera with a PocketWizard PlusII Transceiver. This one does not use the battery power, since the flash goes to sleep between shots.

When the weather is poor, I have to scramble to cover it all up and weather proof it.

I want to use three speedlights on the camera tripod. This way, I could protect my equipment from swarming students and more easily weather proof it. I wouldn’t need external battery packs, because the speedlight batteries would easily provide 54 flashes.

I would like to hard wire the flashes and eliminate radios, because radios might not be reliable enough when they are so close together. More than likely all the flashes will be firing at full power, but not when I move in close on the occasional small band.

I am not familiar with TTL, as I never had multiple speedights in the days of TTL. I’m thinking that TTL cables and a pair of AS-10s will give me standard TTL auto exposure and the flash will sleep until the shutter is half way depressed. If so, I think this will suffice and possibly save on batteries, be easily protected from swarming students, and be quickly secured when rain threatens.

The only thing I fear is that three on board flash might get to hot when getting close to small groups despite auto exposure.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed
kodiak photo Silver Member
12th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
12th May 2013

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 08:29 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Hey Scott

You should have a closer look at the Nikon CLS approach!
Since you have, like I do, some PocketWizards, a bit of your
experience plus the CLS controls and your radio will bring
you back quickly to Hal's prescription with a smile!

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 08:48 PM
8216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 1

Powder Springs, US

Daniel,

Yes, I would love that and it certainly would be the economical way to go. I hear so much about CLS failure in bright daylight, that I fear it is not a failsafe solution. Maybe when the flash are that close together it would not be an issue. On the other hand, when they are that close together, the remotes might not be in a position to see the master's IR signal.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 08:56 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 2

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Hi Scott

The ClS solution is, in my suggestion, only meant for TTL control and compensations. In
no way would I suggest you to work with anything else than radio triggers.

CLS is OK but only under radio triggering. Now, don't forget the prescription!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 09:24 PM
#4. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

In brief testing this has in fact worked for me with my CTL radios, even though all the radios are within 10 inches (25mm) of each other. I hear so much about them being unreliable in close proximity, that I am afraid to "test" them on a paying job.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 09:31 PM
#5. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 4

Montréal, (Qc), CA

It should still be early enough you to take your stuff out in the open too make sure.

This uncertainty is my worst enemy!

As a pro, I must deliver and to do so, I must base all operations on test done before. Once
you are on the field with your gear, they count on you.

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 09:55 PM
#6. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 5

Powder Springs, US

Yep, you are right. I need to set it up here one day and fire them about a hundred times to see if they falter.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 10:02 PM
#7. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 6

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Well, if you fire them a 100 times, you will know that they can stand 100 firings…

BUT
if if you simulate the "on field" conditions and they answer correctly 5 times,
then you will have your peace of mind!

Now, the prescription… oh yes!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 10:38 PM
#8. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 7

Powder Springs, US

Maybe the 5 times is enough and I've done that, but the manual says to keep the antennas a minimum of 1 meter apart, so it's not comforting

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 10:41 PM
#9. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 8

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Just make the test, there is no way out!

the meter apart is in fact in rare cases of echoing the radio waves!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 11:09 PM
#10. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 9

Powder Springs, US

OK, now the prescription.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 11:10 PM
#11. "RE: Multiple on camera flash solution needed"
In response to Reply # 10

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Now you're talkin'

CU

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61453 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.