Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61442
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..." Previous topic | Next topic
EnEs63 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2012Sat 11-May-13 06:13 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."

Udon Thani, TH

Hi Guys,

I have read most threads on here re the SC-29 but haven't found what I am looking for...

I have been struggling with a still-life set-up using my SU-800 to trigger my speed-lights - SB-R200's, SB-700 & SB-910.
My flash meter (Sekonic L-758D), is fooled by the IR from the SU-800 giving me UE.
So I thought I could remove the SU-800 off camera and via an iTTL sync cable, place it in a position out of alignment of the flash meter but still get it to trigger the strobes.
The SC-29 cable seems to fit the bill but is too short and being coiled would probably pull the SU-800 over...
Does anyone know of a straight cable with the same abilities of the SC-29?

(I have already thought of not using the SU-800 and firing everything manually to get a meter reading but my SB-R200's would then be redundant requiring the need for more speed-lights which I don't really want to do...).

Any help or other ideas would be appreciated....

Regards

Regards EnEs63

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short...
gpoole Platinum Member
11th May 2013
gritchie Silver Member
11th May 2013
EnEs63 Silver Member
11th May 2013
Fovea Gold Member
11th May 2013
EnEs63 Silver Member
12th May 2013
jrp Administrator
13th May 2013
EnEs63 Silver Member
13th May 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
13th May 2013
Dallaspilot Gold Member
14th May 2013
FineArtSnaps Silver Member
14th May 2013
JBS101 Silver Member
14th May 2013
FineArtSnaps Silver Member
17th May 2013
EnEs63 Silver Member
22nd May 2013

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 11-May-13 06:30 PM
3658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Are you sure it's the SU-800 fooling your speedlights and not the pre-flash from the speedlights themselves? If you are setting the remotes to manual values, then and only then would there be no pre-flash from the remotes.

Instead of using a remote cord, try setting one of your programmable buttons to FV lock. When you push the FV lock button, the pre-flash sequences will be triggered. Then reset your flash meter and press the shutter release. Now the flash meter will not be influenced by the SU-800. Note the the flash settings will remain locked until your camera meter times out or you press the FV lock button again.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

gritchie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Sat 11-May-13 06:34 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 0

Danbury, US

I ran into a similar issue with the Sekonic L478DR. The SU800 communicates with the remote flashes using infrared signals. This way the camera can determine the correct exposure and tells the speedlighs how much power to use. So, if you move the SU800 off camera, you are still going to have the SU800 communicating with the speedlights which in turn will be picked up by the meter. The only way I could find to get past this was to either shoot manual and meter each flash, then the whole scene or to use a pocket wizard to communicate with the speedlights using radio.

Good luck.

EnEs63 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2012Sat 11-May-13 06:51 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 2

Udon Thani, TH

Thanks gpoole,

I have tried so many scenarios to solve this issue and I keep getting back to the original cause that it is the IR messing with the flash meter? It seems to also be the overall opinion on forums I have read?
That said, the pre flashes I know do also cause a false meter reading... Arghhhh... This is so frustrating!
I do like the sound of your FV lock idea which I will try...

Hi gritchie,

I understand what you are saying but as IR only travels in straight lines, (same as normal white light), I thought - if I place the SU-800 in the same plain as the subject, I.E. facing the camera on a cable, then the SU-800 would 'see' all the strobes but the meter, facing the same direction would not.....?
Would the meter be so sensitive to 'see' any IR reflections...?

Manual is fine, (my preferred route as in the old days!), but as the SB-R200's don't support this mode I would have to buy two more Speed-lights which would cost a hell of a lot more than an SC-29.

As much as I love the L-758 it is a pain when it comes to the Nikon CLS system!
May be manual is the way to go....?

Thanks for your swift responses guys
Regards

Regards EnEs63

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Sat 11-May-13 07:49 PM
3629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 3

Colombo, LK

>>May be manual is the way to go....?
If you are happy to spend more money, PocketWizard Flex TT5 units with the new Sekonic Trigger module will give you what you want and more.

First couple of paragraphs of this blogpost from my blog will give you the idea..
http://www.struckbylight.com/sekonic-l-758-with-rt-32ctl-pocketwizards-nikon-speedlights/

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

EnEs63 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2012Sun 12-May-13 04:34 PM
#5. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 4

Udon Thani, TH

Hi Dinil,

Sounds nice but would cost a lot of money...?
Thanks for the blog. It was useful as I am not very familiar with PW.
If I understand this correctly that would mean 3 x TT5's, 1 x mini TT1, 1 x AC3 and a new speedlight as I wont be able to use my SB-R200's with the PW's?

All in, a further investment well over £1000! ($1600).

Mmmm. Heading for a divorce I think...!

Regards EnEs63

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 13-May-13 02:58 PM
34476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 5

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Nigel,
Try what Gary Poole (gpoole) suggested. That works.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

EnEs63 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2012Mon 13-May-13 03:31 PM
#7. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 6

Udon Thani, TH

Hi jrp,

Yes, I was very interested in what gpoole suggested. Whilst I understand what the FV Lock was for I have never used it...

I will give this a try... Thanks gpool, Thanks jrp

Can I just ask; after pressing the FV Lock button I understand the pre-flashes will fire, (which in normal circumstances would be when one would then recompose the shot?), then after resetting the meter - fire the shutter...
By firing the shutter I would actually capture an image, right?

So each time I meter the flashes by firing the shutter I would end up with images of this process which I guess could be used for monitoring the progress with flash set-up?

Regards

Regards EnEs63

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 13-May-13 05:39 PM
3658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 7

Farmington Hills, US

Yes,

You have it correct, when you press the shutter release you will get an image made with the settings from the pre-flash when you pushed FV lock. Note that the setting will be held even after you make your image. If you press the shutter release again, you will get an additional image at the same settings.

When I take posed shots I use the FV lock. Because it separates the pre-flash from the actual exposure, FV lock prevents fast blinkers from having their eyes closed when the image is made. I also set the meter timeout to 1 minute or more so that I can get several shots at the same exposure without having to do another pre-flash. Each shutter press resets the timeout, so in theory I could continue using the same settings for hours without additional pre-flashes. If I want to reset the flash settings I just push the FV lock button before the meter times out.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Tue 14-May-13 01:20 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

Your problem seems to be solved, and I too learned what the FV lock is useful for.
Also, the Nikon flash cables can be linked together; the SC-29 could be linked to an SC-28 or 29 or even an older SC-17 to double the cable length. I don't know what the practical limit of this is, but the documentation I received with one of my cables indicated that they could be linked. I also don't know about non-Nikon cables; if the wire size is smaller, the resistance would be greater and this would limit the usable total length.

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012Tue 14-May-13 08:47 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 9

Manitou Springs, US

According to Joe McNally you can link two cables. He seems to think that's the limit. Check his book: "The Hot Shoe Diaries."

Russ Lewis
www.FineArtSnaps.com
www.russ-lewis.com

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009Tue 14-May-13 10:01 PM
508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 0

Canberra, AU

Returning to your original question, you could also get some old SC-17 cables and stretch them. These are cheap on the net so the cost impost won't be great. According to Joe McNally, you can link up to three cables together.

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012Fri 17-May-13 10:17 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 11

Manitou Springs, US

Interesting, John. Where did he say that? Great idea about the SC-17s.

Russ Lewis
www.FineArtSnaps.com
www.russ-lewis.com

EnEs63 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2012Wed 22-May-13 02:31 PM
#13. "RE: Using SU-800 off camera... SC-29 too short..."
In response to Reply # 12

Udon Thani, TH

Thanks for all your responses guys...

Off now to try these out and learn this FV lock...

All the best to you...
Regards

Regards EnEs63

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61442 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.