Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61390
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need recommendation - Flash Bracket" Previous topic | Next topic
unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Wed 08-May-13 07:01 PM
552 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
Thu 09-May-13 05:44 PM by nrothschild

Henrico, US

I'm looking for an off camera flash attachment. Mike Hagen recommends in his book on the CLS the Stroboframe Quick Flip unit. Does anyone have any other recommendations. Thanking you in advance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need recommendation
t_jones Silver Member
08th May 2013
unclemikey Platinum Member
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
mwhals Silver Member
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
mwhals Silver Member
10th May 2013
09th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
10th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
10th May 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
10th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
11th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
12th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
09th May 2013
09th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
12th May 2013
16th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
10th May 2013
Reply message RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket
jrp Administrator
09th May 2013
11th May 2013
jrp Administrator
11th May 2013
11th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
10th May 2013
11th May 2013
jrp Administrator
11th May 2013
oceanbum Gold Member
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
oceanbum Gold Member
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
16th May 2013
17th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th May 2013
17th May 2013

t_jones Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2006Wed 08-May-13 10:58 PM
624 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

Mike,
I bought a Really Right Stuff Portrait Perfect Package and really like it.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=FlashBrackets&key=cat

Tim

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 12:44 PM
552 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 1

Henrico, US

>Mike,
>I bought a Really Right Stuff Portrait Perfect Package and
>really like it.
>http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=FlashBrackets&key=cat
>
>Tim

Tim, first thanks for responding. I looked at the site and didn't yet pull the trigger on the flash bracket. I did however purchase one of their macro focusing rails. Looks like a really nice item. I'd been using a cheap one and really didn't like it. Anxious to get this product and put it to work as I do a lot of macro photography.

I'm going to give them a call again today because I didn't understand the use of the "L" bracket and didn't buy one but I think I will.

Will let you know what I decide re the flash unit.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 01:37 PM
#9. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 1

Henrico, US

>Mike,
>I bought a Really Right Stuff Portrait Perfect Package and
>really like it.
>http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=FlashBrackets&key=cat
>
>Tim

Tim, I looked again at the two recommendations here and I think the RSS Wedding Pro fits my needs to a T. I like the Portrait Perfect Package also but I don't do that much studio work. If I did I would purchase both.

Mostly I do macro work for a number of collages, universities and research labs and from that I get event work so I am working on the fly most of the time and very really use a tripod for that kind of work.

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Thu 09-May-13 02:24 AM
1638 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 0

Winfield, US

I have a Wimberley macro flash bracket that I use for getting the flash off the camera in regular photography too. I attach it to the side of my "L" plate.

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-macro-brackets.cfm

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 12:46 PM
#5. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 2

Henrico, US

>I have a Wimberley macro flash bracket that I use for getting
>the flash off the camera in regular photography too. I attach
>it to the side of my "L" plate.
>
>http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-macro-brackets.cfm

mwhals, thanks for your input. I'm going to look at this site now.
You refer to the "L" plate. Is that from the same manufacturer or is your generic and works with other products. There is a lot of new tech out there in the photo world since I returned to photography and much of it is unfamiliar to me. Any help or info would be appreciated.

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Fri 10-May-13 01:31 AM
1638 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 5

Winfield, US

The L plate allows the camera to be placed in an Arca Swiss clamp in portrait or landscape orientations without moving the clamp. Really Right Stuff and Kirk sell them.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 01:39 PM
#10. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 2

Henrico, US

>I have a Wimberley macro flash bracket that I use for getting
>the flash off the camera in regular photography too. I attach
>it to the side of my "L" plate.
>
>http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-macro-brackets.cfm

Wow, this is a really nice bracket too but doesn't seem to fit what I'm looking for. I have set the site to my favorites and will go back and look them over again. Thanks again for you help.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 09-May-13 04:23 AM
24978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

I use the RRS Wedding Pro Flash Bracket and strongly recommend it.
It is extremely strong, and folds very compactly so it is very easy to pack. It requires an L-Bracket and is not inexpensive but it is (IMHO) the best flash bracket available.

Best Regards,
Marty

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 01:03 PM
#6. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 3

Henrico, US

>Hi Mike,
>
>I use the RRS Wedding Pro Flash Bracket and strongly recommend
>it.
>It is extremely strong, and folds very compactly so it is very
>easy to pack. It requires an L-Bracket and is not inexpensive
>but it is (IMHO) the best flash bracket available.

Marty, I've see the reference to RSS several time in different threads. I don't know what that refers to. Is it a brand or manufacturer and do you have a link to the reference you make here?

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 01:22 PM
#7. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 6

Henrico, US

OK I got it. RRS= Really Right Stuff. Yes I do like the Wedding Pro for my needs. This is the same bracket that Tim recommended. I was under the impression that I had to dismount the camera to switch from landscape to portrait but I watched the demonstration and one can just flip the upper bar when on the fly. For tripod mount I see the usefulness of the "L" bracket.

Thanks everyone for your input and if anyone else reading this has anymore info please just post it. I'm still interested in other formats for off camera flash.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 09-May-13 01:24 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 09-May-13 01:28 PM by nrothschild

US

I'll add my two cents

I have an almost complete Wimberly Flash Bracket system, but mainly use it for wildlife telephoto work and macro, mostly on a tripod, or in the case of macro, at least on a monopod. Only missing the M7 flash flipper module. That module is $89.

RRS's Wedding Pro bracket is $170.

Outside an occasional need, I do not do enough of this type of work to put something together and get past all my concerns. If I did, though, I think I would possibly opt for a little extra and buy the RRS bracket Simply because it appears to be more streamlined. Or, perhaps more likely, buy the Stroboframe kit.

My reasoning is that the Wimberly system, attaching to the camera bottom, is rather large, bulky and cumbersome. Most importantly it has no natural handle for the left hand to grip the assembly. Wimberly has a good diagram of that setup here. Cost is $370, and if you do not already use an Arca-Swiss compatible plate system, add about $50 for a camera plate.

It is possible to assemble a Wimberly system to attach to an L bracket, just like the RRS bracket is designed to do. You would use the gimbal module M9, perhaps with an M6 extension post if you wanted more height, an M3 bracket on top of that, and topped off with the M7 flash flipper. That would run $285 - $378.

Even with my alternate configuration, there is no ergonomic handle. it doesn't solve the problem of supporting the system by grabbing the rectangular, somewhat hard edged bare aluminum upright.

I love my Wimberly flash system for what it was primarily intended to do- provide off camera flash on their various gimbals, plus a macro setup. But I've always felt that the flip flash was more or less an "after thought", simply the best way possible to leverage what is presumably an existing telephoto or macro setup into something that works as a possibly hand held event bracket as best possible.

I do think it would work well, and makes a lot of sense for tripod work. I just don't like the feel of it for hand held work.

Perhaps Wimberly's mistake was not designing an ergonomic handle that is optional but somehow securely attaches to the M2 upright? That is the missing link, in my opinion.

As far as the RRS bracket goes, I'm not sure it would solve all my concerns because, again, you either have to hold the camera on the camera body left side, and balance the high center of gravity, or perhaps hold onto the add-on bracket itself, which is cold hard aluminum, not a nice ergonomic handle.

Because of all the above, I am not convinced that the long tried and true, and by comparison dirt cheap Stroboframe system, might be not only just as good but perhaps better. At best it is 1/4 the cost and at worst somewhere around 1/6 the cost of a Wimberly solution, and about 1/3 to 1/4 of the RRS solution. It all comes down to a handle designed to hold such a necessarily cumbersome package.

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be an event photographer? . In that case just ignore all this!

The problem, of course, is that it is very difficult to assess this without handling the assembled package and that is difficult or impossible unless you rely on return privileges to send back what doesn't work.

I am very open to critiques and counter opinions of my assessment here by real life event shooters using these various setups. It's a problem I have been trying to sort out in my spare time, for years.

my Nikonians gallery.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 01:48 PM
#11. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 12-May-13 01:36 AM by jrp

Henrico, US

Neil, your logic here is well received.
Perhaps I will go back and rethink my purchasing decision.
One of the reasons I didn't opt for the Stroboframe was the reviews at B&H Photo.
Most of the con reviews were from pro's who felt the unit was flimsy.
I was impressed that Mike Hagen did recommend this unit but I'm wondering if he did so because of economics to the readership of his book.
I haven't made a firm decision yet and I will go back and look at all options before purchasing.
Thanks again.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 01:52 PM
#12. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 11

Henrico, US

Neil another observation from me regarding the RSS units is moleskin. I did notice that the riser on the left of the camera was unpadded. In the past, I've had brackets that were configured the same way and I altered them with moleskin and either glue or tape. Not the loveliest thing to do but it always worked well for me.

Regarding cost...not a factor for me. However I agree with your thoughts on the Wimberley unit. Too bulky for event work. Looks rock solid for tripod supported work and long lenses.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 09-May-13 07:58 PM
24978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Mike,

If you wrapped the riser of the RRS Wedding Pro Flash Bracket, I doubt it would fold which is one of the primary advantages of the WPFB.

When shooting it allows you to cradle the camera an lens in your left hand to provide maximum stability (minimizing camera shake). Holding the camera by the bracket while shooting would reduce stability.

Best Regards,
Marty

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 09-May-13 02:02 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 09-May-13 04:08 PM by nrothschild

US

>> Most of the con reviews were from Pro's who felt the unit was flimsy

I have never handled one but I know that at some point you get what you pay for and my expectations would be on the low side too. How much beef can they give you at $56 $26? Edit: shaking my head at the cost... I was looking at the price of a special order model by mistake

My own thinking is that as long as it does not actually fall apart in the field and damage the other gear, replacing it every few years, if that's what it takes, may be a far less evil relative to the evil(s) I mention. And you can replace it many times for the alternative costs.

My recollection is that over the years I have seen Stroboframe mentioned by many Nikonians. It seems to be the "gold standard" outside the Arca-Swiss world. If a $56 $26 flash bracket can be made of gold? I don't recall serious complaints but you might want to do a search here on "Stroboframe" and verify my fuzzy memory on this point.

my Nikonians gallery.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 09-May-13 04:10 PM
#14. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 13

Henrico, US

>>> Most of the con reviews were from Pro's who felt the
>unit was flimsy
>
>I have never handled one but I know that at some point you get
>what you pay for and my expectations would be on the low side
>too. How much beef can they give you at $56 $26?
>Edit: shaking my head at the cost... I was looking at the
>price of a special order model by mistake
>
>My own thinking is that as long as it does not actually fall
>apart in the field and damage the other gear, replacing it
>every few years, if that's what it takes, may be a far less
>evil relative to the evil(s) I mention. And you can replace
>it many times for the alternative costs.
>
>My recollection is that over the years I have seen Stroboframe
>mentioned by many Nikonians. It seems to be the "gold
>standard" outide the Arca-Swiss world. If a $56 flash
>bracket can be made of gold? I don't recall serious
>complaints but you might want to do a search here on
>"Stroboframe" and verify my fuzzy memory on this
>point.
Neil, I think I've solved the dilemma. I've been searching all morning all over the place and came across this line of off camera flash attachments. Don't know which one I'm interested in or which is better for me but I'm going to call them and talk to them. Remember I'm not interested so much in price as I am getting exactly what I am looking for.
http://www.custombrackets.com/products/camera-flash-brackets/digital-pro-m.html

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 09-May-13 04:25 PM
#15. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 14

US

That was the make I was trying to think of... a bracket presumably built to Wimberly standards, at a Wimberly price... with a handle . I've seen it discussed here before.

If you do a search here on "Custom Brackets" I think you will find some opinions. You may have to weed past some generic hits.

my Nikonians gallery.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 10-May-13 11:13 AM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 14

Potomac, US

Hi Mike,

FWIW, I have a Custom Brackets (CB) that I use for my Quantum Q-flash, and a RRS Wedding Pro that I use for my SB-900. The former, as a kit (bracket, flash, battery, cables, etc.) I carry in a backpack; camera and lenses go in a separate bag. The SB-900 kit (bracket, flash, external battery pack, cables, etc.) can fit in the same bag as the camera.

The CB (and similar brackets) is a bit awkward to pack, and might be more than you need for an SB-910. The nice thing about the RRS is that when you flip the bracket to portrait mode, and turn the camera similarly, the pattern of the flash will match that of the sensor. This is not a concern with the Q-flash because of its round head. With the CB, you turn only the camera; the orientation of the flash remains the same.

Hope this is helpful, and not too late. I was denied the ability to post to this forum yesterday!?

Fred
Maryland, USA

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 10-May-13 12:14 PM
7819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 22

Powder Springs, US

I use my QFlash on the RRS wedding bracket as well as my speedlights.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 10-May-13 11:12 PM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 23

Potomac, US

Hi Scott,

<I use my QFlash on the RRS wedding bracket as well as my speedlights.

I'll try that sometime. I haven't I guess because the Q-Flash atop the RRS Wedding Pro bracket would seem to me to be a bit top-heavy or unbalanced.

Fred
Maryland, USA

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 11-May-13 04:04 AM
7819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 25

Powder Springs, US

Hi Fred,

I thought so too, but the QFlash is really not that heavy since all the batteries are off camera.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 12-May-13 10:03 PM
#37. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Hi Fred,

It is not bad at all.
Especially if you shoot with a large body and an f/2.8 zoom.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 09-May-13 07:46 PM
#16. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Neil,

I used the old potato masher flashes (Honeywell Strobonar, Vivitar 365, Metz 45 and 60 series, etc....) as far back as the 70's and very rarely if ever had my left hand on the flash handle while shooting. I always cradled the camera and lens in my left hand.
Of course back then, the left hand was required for focusing manually. To this day, cradling the camera when shooting hand held provides the most stability.

I have also used several Stroboframe brackets and a few Custom brackets over the years the best of which were the Pro-T and Press-T which have the vertical support on the right hand side of the camera so they don't interfere with cradling the camera in your left hand.
The problem with them is they are large and do not fold making them very difficult to pack. They are also not Arca-Swiss compatible.

While I would use the handle on the potato masher flashes and the flash brackets with a handle on the left side for carring the camera at my side, I never used it while shooting.
To me having a handle is a non issue.
The RRS Wedding Pro Bracket is more than strong enough to allow you to carry it by the vertical support or even the horizontal support at the top when you are walking around if you wish to.

Best Regards,
Marty

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 09-May-13 09:03 PM
#18. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hi Marty,

Just to be clear, the problem I had when trying to set up the Wimberly flash bracket for hand held use is that the center of gravity was so high - due to the height of the flash - that I had trouble balancing things when shooting with my left hand on the lens.

Using Wimberly's method, with the F1 set clamped to the camera bottom plate, the bracket hanging out to the left made it seem even more unwieldy.

I agree that left hand on the lens is the "right" way to do it, but I don't think I could do that, at least the way I set up the flash bracket, for a long event.

For that reason I think I would want a nice handle on the left side, just in case I tired of juggling the setup for hours on end.

Maybe hard to explain, but I did hedge by saying I may not have been cut out for event work, and basically that was what I was thinking.

I also want to stress and repeat that I have not handled RRS's bracket, and why I solicited more opinions on that. I assumed it would be similar to what I experienced with the Wimberly clamped to the left side L rails, but that is an assumption.

This whole issue, how people do that all day, is a mystery me.

my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 12-May-13 09:39 PM
#35. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 18
Sun 12-May-13 09:56 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Neil,

I have not used the Wimberley Flash Bracket. Looking at the images on Wimberley's site, it doesn't appear to be taller than the RRS WPFB though I suspect the clamps on the bottom of the bracket below the camera might make it less compfortable to cradle the camera with your left had. The RRS WPFB mounts on the side of the L-Bracket so there are no clamps or anything bukly other than the bottom of the L-Bracket to get in the way of cradling the camera in your left hand.

With regard to being top heavy, I think it would have more to do with size and weight of the camera body and lens that you are using than the flash bracket, though I am sure there are likely some exceptions.
I typically use D_ series, or D_00 series bodies with battery grips and large (heavy) lenses (24-70mm, 28-70mm etc.....) and don't find the RRS WPFB top heavy even with a Q-flash 5d-R. Then again,
I have been using large flash units and flash brackets for decades, so using them is second nature. Therefore, I am probably not sensitive to the balance issue anymore.

I remember seeing a Photographer shooting a D3 with a 200mm f/2 hand held All day (about 10 hours) at an event. While he was able to put it down for a minute or two every four or five minutes. After a while my arms started aching just watching him shoot. It is amazing what we can get used to.

Best Regards,
Marty

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 16-May-13 07:43 PM
#38. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 35
Thu 16-May-13 07:53 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Marty,

>> though I suspect the clamps on the bottom of the bracket below the camera might make it less comfortable to cradle the camera with your left had.

I'm a bit late replying- a lot on my plate now.

Just for clarity, I know of two possible ways to set up the Wimberly bracket on a camera, and mentioned them previously.

The first method, which they illustrate on their site, is to attach it to the bottom Arca plate on the camera.

My vague recollection is that your sense is correct- the bracket does interfere with cradling the lens in your left hand. There is also the M8 module sitting under the camera and pointed forward, which may not be obvious in the illustration. You have to thread your hand between that bracket and the lens, although that may not be a big deal.

The second method, my super secret patent pending method , is to attach the bracket to the side L bracket using the M9 module intended to attach the bracket to the WH-200 gimbal's Arca rail that supports the vertical clamp platform.

This second method is far cheaper to put together, and with fewer interconnecting parts. It also avoids the problem you mention- having a clamp or something similar mounted on the camera bottom plate.

The Wimberly clamp platform rail is in the same orientation, which is why this can be done. I do not believe Wimberly documents or even mentions in passing this possible setup.

I figured that out because I own the M9, for my WH-200 gimbal. I was trying to streamline things and build an RRS wedding bracket .

Although it does not fold up for storage like the RRS bracket, I suspect it is ergonomically very similar (but not identical) once set up on the camera.

The main difference is that the RRS bracket riser sits flush on the side L bracket. With my Wimberly method, the riser sits either just in front of or behind the L bracket, and the clamp knob protrudes from the opposite side (see my illustration below).

Edit: I am a left eye shooter. Anything sticking back from the L bracket would not bother me as much as a right eye shooter.

As you can see, RRS's solution is a bit cleaner, with nothing potentially poking you in your left cheek or interfering with front left side camera controls or lens controls.

In real life I use Jrp's suggestion- a Gary Fong Lightsphere. It works great for me and less cumbersome.

Since my method is not documented by Wimberly, here are a couple of images, illustrating the bracket set up slightly forward and rearward of the Arca rail. The more or less mandatory Flip bracket is not shown, I do not own one. It would sit on top of the upper horizontal bracket.

my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-May-13 02:24 AM
#40. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 38

US

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the images.

With the Wimberley flash bracket mounted like image 1 & 2, with the bracket slightly behind the camera body, it might be more balanced (front to back) than the RRS WPFB since it should bring the center of gravity back a little compared to the camera and lens alone or the flash directly over the camera.

In image 3, I see what you mean about the clamp knob being a potential issue. Same for the edge of the bracket in 1 & 2.

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 10-May-13 12:22 PM
#24. "RE: Need recommendation"
In response to Reply # 8

Powder Springs, US

Neil,

>Even with my alternate configuration, there is no ergonomic
>handle. it doesn't solve the problem of supporting the system
>by grabbing the rectangular, somewhat hard edged bare aluminum
>upright.

Either way with the RRS Wedding bracket, I hold the grip with my right hand and cradle the lens and body with my left. I do occasionally grab the bracket to hold the camera when not shooting, because it's such a solid grip.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 09-May-13 11:26 PM
33917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 09-May-13 11:30 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Mike,
Mike Hagen is right, that Stroboframe Quick Flip flash bracket is darn good.
However, Stroboframe has not stopped further development and have come up with a foldable version which is blessing for packing.
It is the PRO-DIGITAL FOLDING FLIP BRACKET

Custom Brackets has a similar product and I like their line very much.
The most popular among weeding pros had been for years the CB Junior bracket, and -as Stroboframe- they continued development to better fit the needs of all type of buyers.
As a consequence now offer both folding units and folding units with an integrated Arca Swiss type clamp for quick release.

It should also be mentioned that they are not only very well made and finished, thay also are very affordable.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Sat 11-May-13 01:48 PM
#28. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 11-May-13 07:02 PM by jrp

Henrico, US

JRP, thanks for your insight. I followed the links you suggested and do like the CB you show here. I have a question. Can the camera and flash be mounted in either direction as most of the units seem to have right hand grips. I am right handed and would prefer the grip to be left handed.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 11-May-13 07:08 PM
33917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 28

Yes, you do have several options with a left hand grip. In the folding series:

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Sat 11-May-13 07:56 PM
#31. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 29
Sun 12-May-13 01:34 AM by jrp

Henrico, US

>Yes, you do have several options with a left hand grip. In
>the folding series:

>

I will look at these and make a final decision. Great photo in the church. mb

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 10-May-13 12:05 AM
#20. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I have 2 RRS Wedding brackets and will buy the third the next time I take 3 cameras to a wedding. I have spent lots on trying various brackets out, probably more than I've spent on the RRS brackets. They fold up to the point of being able to ride in your hip pocket.

They aren't for macro work, but I use them to prevent red eye and to cast pleasing shadows for modeling. I'm a real fan of these for event type shooting.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Sat 11-May-13 01:20 PM
#27. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 20

Henrico, US

>I have 2 RRS Wedding brackets and will buy the third the next
>time I take 3 cameras to a wedding. I have spent lots on
>trying various brackets out, probably more than I've spent on
>the RRS brackets. They fold up to the point of being able to
>ride in your hip pocket.
>
>They aren't for macro work, but I use them to prevent red eye
>and to cast pleasing shadows for modeling. I'm a real fan of
>these for event type shooting.

Guys, I have an augment to this issue. I will most likely purchase the RSS Wedding Pro with all attachments (don't mean to boast but money is not an issue for me), however I just received the Gary Fong Light Sphere Kit yesterday and went right in testing mode. After watching several of the instructional videos on the Gary Fong site it would appear that with the height of the flash (SB-910...SB-700) and the size of the sphere I might not need an additional flash bracket to move the speed light off camera. What are your thoughts regarding this?

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 11-May-13 07:11 PM
#30. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun 12-May-13 01:38 AM by jrp

When using the Gary Fong Lightsphere system, you don't really need a flash bracket for low ceilings.
However, the few extra inches with a flash bracket make a lot of difference for tall ceilings, like in auditoriums and churches.

Have a great time

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

oceanbum Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2004Sun 12-May-13 04:51 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 27

Port St. Lucie, US

I really liked the Custom Brackets CB Junior flash rotating bracket. I mounted a RRS mini clamp to the bottom of this bracket so that I could quickly and easily attach my camera (Nikon D300) with L-plate to the CB Junior. It worked great and the only negative was that it could not fit in my camera case.

Things really changed when I purchased the Nikon D4. Not enough clearance above the camera body! It could damage the camera body if accidently lowered. Purchased a Really Right Stuff WPF-QR wedding flash bracket. I can’t say enough good about this bracket: better camera handling with flash, easy to pack, etc.

Hope this helps.

Leonard Rall
Nikonian from Southeast Florida

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 07:39 PM
#33. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 32

Henrico, US

>I really liked the Custom Brackets CB Junior flash rotating
>bracket. I mounted a RRS mini clamp to the bottom of this
>bracket so that I could quickly and easily attach my camera
>(Nikon D300) with L-plate to the CB Junior. It worked great
>and the only negative was that it could not fit in my camera
>case.
>
>Things really changed when I purchased the Nikon D4. Not
>enough clearance above the camera body! It could damage the
>camera body if accidently lowered. Purchased a Really Right
>Stuff WPF-QR wedding flash bracket. I can’t say enough good
>about this bracket: better camera handling with flash, easy to
>pack, etc.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Leonard Rall
>Nikonian from Southeast Florida

>
>
>

Leonard, thanks for your input. Two questions for you. Do they make a model with the hand grip on the left and second, would there be enough room for a Pocket Wixard and an SU-800 or AC-9 below the flash cross bar?

oceanbum Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2004Sun 12-May-13 08:22 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 33

Port St. Lucie, US

Custom Brackets make different models with hand grip mounted on the left or right side http://www.custombrackets.com/build-your-bracket

A Nikon SC-28 TTL Remote Cord or similar should be used when mounting a flash on the bracket. Otherwise expect misfires. Clearance is also a problem.

Leonard Rall
Nikonian from Southeast Florida

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 10:02 PM
#36. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 34

Henrico, US

>Custom Brackets make different models with hand grip mounted
>on the left or right side
>http://www.custombrackets.com/build-your-bracket
>
>A Nikon SC-28 TTL Remote Cord or similar should be used when
>mounting a flash on the bracket. Otherwise expect misfires.
>Clearance is also a problem.
>
>Leonard Rall
>Nikonian from Southeast Florida

Thanks, I will check this out with them.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 16-May-13 09:41 PM
#39. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 36

Henrico, US

Bit of an update here. I've reviewed all the recommendations and thank everyone for the input and information. Plus the links offered really were a help. There are several brackets I like very much. The RSS Wedding Pro seems like it would fit the bill for some of my event shooting and the one of the custom brackets, which will allow the Pocket Wizard configuration with the SU-800 is also attractive.

Now I did some shooting with the Gary Fong Light Sphere and as JRP suggested that might not do the trick in a church with a high ceiling. Well, I was able to almost recreate the example he showed us enlisting the aide of my wife, the pastor and the office staff. (This church has a 26FT ceiling height). With the dome or using the chrome thingy that fits on the snoot provides about the same light as would be available from a bracket attached to the camera.

I'll still most likely purchase one of the attachment brackets suggested in this thread but I want to do some more experimenting with the LightSphere first as to determine which bracket will do me the most good for the type of event shooting I do.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 17-May-13 12:20 PM
#41. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 39

Henrico, US

Those of you referring to the Q flash???? Could you enlighten me. I don't think I know what that is. A link would be helpful as well. Thanks.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-May-13 03:29 PM
#42. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 41
Fri 17-May-13 03:31 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Mike,

They are heavy duty flash units capable of being fired as fast as they can recycle without overheating.
Here are a few links:
Q-flash T5dR
Q-flash Trio QF8

Best Regards,
Marty

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 17-May-13 06:18 PM
#43. "RE: Need recommendation - Flash Bracket"
In response to Reply # 42

Henrico, US

Thanks Marty. I'll check them out.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61390 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.