Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61377
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lumedyne-X" Previous topic | Next topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 06-May-13 10:52 PM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lumedyne-X"

Tacoma, US

Is anyone familiar with the Lumedyne-X, which promises longer battery life and faster recycle times? (I wonder if it also slows down overheating?)
http://www.lumedyne-x.com/nikon-style-x/

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lumedyne-X
ScottChapin Moderator
06th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
07th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
07th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
08th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
08th May 2013
F21979
25th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
25th Jul 2013
F21979
26th Jul 2013
mklass Platinum Member
26th Jul 2013
F21979
03rd Aug 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 06-May-13 11:27 PM
8173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Mick,

I'm not sure what the advantage would be. The SD9 will at least double the recycling time too. The Lumedyne says it is a 1500 mAh battery. The SD9 has two sets of four batteries in 2000 mAh clusters ( dependin on batteries used) for 4000 mAh.

What piqued your interest?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 07-May-13 02:14 AM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

I just saw an ad for it in Shutterbug and was curious. I' m still trying to figure out a way to get better performance from my SB/900s. But maybe it 's better to just switch to Quantums ( I think my wallet just twitched )

Mick
or

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 07-May-13 02:24 AM
8173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

Yeah. I get great performance out of my SB9, but my QFlash is a solid performer. Plus, the T5d-R is very powerful. I can light up an auditorium with it.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 08-May-13 01:04 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Mick,

When you have to shoot fast and hard, the Quantum Q-flash is up to the task.

Best Regards,
Marty

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-May-13 01:12 AM
#5. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

>Hi Mick,
>
>When you have to shoot fast and hard, the Quantum Q-flash is
>up to the task.

Yes, I think it's time. I'm tired of my SB-900s hitting the thermal cut out in the middle of a wedding shoot.

Mick
or

F21979 Registered since 25th Jul 2013Thu 25-Jul-13 05:07 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Have the Lumedyne X and love it performs much like a mimi cycler for speedlights. Very small and compact and plugs directly into the flash so no cords to get tangled in. Performs as advertised doubles the life of the onboard batteries and cuts the recycle time in half. Not as fast as the big belt cyclers on full flash dumps but with higher ISO and TTL use you may not notice any difference. The X also maintains the flash capacitors at full charge for more consistent results. Normally the capacitors loose some of their charge before topping off again from the onboard batteries.

Performs very different and better than the cheep Chinese extra batteries that only extend battery time but do nothing to speed up the recycle time of the flash. Save your money and get the Lumedyne X it's a much more useful and a real photographers tool.

Once you get used to using the X or a Cycler and your flash fires every time at the correct intensity it's hard to settle for the basic performance and missed shots that the onboard batteries alone provide.

I find that the Lumedyne X now lives in my camera bag as a light weight alternative to a cycler battery pack. It's great to have cycler performance at hand without the weight penalty of dragging it around if you don't need it or use it. Great for traveling less stuff, less weight!

I'm a professional wedding photographer and found the Lumedyne X to be a great and useful addition to my bag. Very handy when dealing with two bodies, no tangled cycler cords. Also love the USB charger that lets me recharge in the car between locations.

Lumedyne, is also a great company that really stands behind it's products that are made in the USA.

I

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 25-Jul-13 10:09 PM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Frank,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
What Speedlight(s) are you using it with?

Best Regards,
Marty

F21979 Registered since 25th Jul 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 08:41 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Using the Lumedyne X with the SB-800 and SB-900 also tested it with the Nissan MG8000. The X worked great with all three flashes.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 08:54 PM
#9. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

When used with the SB-900, does it do anything to delay the onset of thermal shut-down?

Mick
or

F21979 Registered since 25th Jul 2013Sat 03-Aug-13 07:22 PM
#10. "RE: Lumedyne-X"
In response to Reply # 9

US

The X does slow the thermal shutdown a bit as it draws the energy from the X and not the batteries. However nothing can solve Nikons bad design and overheating problems on the SB 900. For the flash to be a usable professional tool the overheat protection must be disabled so the flash doesn't shutdown at the worst possible time like at a wedding for the first kiss. Trust me the flash will overheat or outright fail at the worst possible moment every time!

The best solution to the SB-900 overheat problem is to use an external battery and shoot at higher ISO's on TTL allowing the flash not to work as hard. Also having a second flash to swap with when one gets too hot will keep it away from the Melville repair center a lot longer. I've done many weddings with a flash cooling down in my suit pocket.

The SB-800 is actually a more reliable and robust flash than its newer cousin, but only when used with an external cycler or flash accelerator & battery like the X. The 800 has a different overheating problem with the onboard batteries. When repeatedly fired with just the onboard batteries they will overheat to the point of melting internal components and the batteries become to hot to touch. This problem is completely solved when using the Lumedyne X or cycler. With an X or cycler the SB-800 draws all of its power from the external battery source and becomes a very reliable flash. The 800 is also smaller and lighter, a bit less powerful but with the higher ISO capability of todays cameras not much of an issue.

Basically any small plastic camera mounted flash will have real limitations in both power and durability when pushed in commercial use.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61377 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.