nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3

BoStruye

US
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011
Sat 04-May-13 02:41 AM

I noticed something strange today and I wondered if anyone else had noticed the same.

Camera: D7000, Flash: SB800, PW mini and AC3 on camera, PW Flex under the SB800. Camera in A mode (1/200 at f8) with no exposure compensation, flash set to TTL, all PW set to default.

First, using the Flex by itself, no AC3. Shoot outdoor scene with shadowed balcony in the foreground. Both foreground and background are properly exposed. Good.

Second, add the AC3 on top of the Flex. Set it to A mode and the compensation wheel to 0. This should yield the same result as without it. Shoot. The foreground is underexposed by about 1 to 1.5 stops. By increasing the AC3 wheel compensation to 1 or 2, I can get close to the same exposure as without the AC3. But I shouldn't have to do that.

I re-ran the test forward and backward with the same results: Adding the AC3 on top of the Flex with setting on A at 0 compensation yields a 1.5 stop loss of light. I tried turning camera on and off before removing it without difference.

Any idea of what might be going on?

Thank you.

Bo Struye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with...

G