Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61358
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3" Previous topic | Next topic
BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Sat 04-May-13 02:41 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"

US

I noticed something strange today and I wondered if anyone else had noticed the same.

Camera: D7000, Flash: SB800, PW mini and AC3 on camera, PW Flex under the SB800. Camera in A mode (1/200 at f8) with no exposure compensation, flash set to TTL, all PW set to default.

First, using the Flex by itself, no AC3. Shoot outdoor scene with shadowed balcony in the foreground. Both foreground and background are properly exposed. Good.

Second, add the AC3 on top of the Flex. Set it to A mode and the compensation wheel to 0. This should yield the same result as without it. Shoot. The foreground is underexposed by about 1 to 1.5 stops. By increasing the AC3 wheel compensation to 1 or 2, I can get close to the same exposure as without the AC3. But I shouldn't have to do that.

I re-ran the test forward and backward with the same results: Adding the AC3 on top of the Flex with setting on A at 0 compensation yields a 1.5 stop loss of light. I tried turning camera on and off before removing it without difference.

Any idea of what might be going on?

Thank you.

Bo Struye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with...
ScottChapin Moderator
04th May 2013
Fovea Gold Member
05th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
05th May 2013
BoStruye Silver Member
06th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
06th May 2013
BoStruye Silver Member
06th May 2013
BoStruye Silver Member
06th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
06th May 2013
BoStruye Silver Member
08th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
12th May 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 04-May-13 08:54 AM
7829 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Did you turn the Mini off as well as the camera and then turn the Mini on first and the camera on last?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Sun 05-May-13 05:13 PM
3628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 0

Colombo, LK

I think you'll get the same results if you set the AC3 to M mode, but not in A mode, in which you might have activated the "CLS"

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 05-May-13 06:13 PM
7829 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

I should have asked if another flash was being used as a commander in lieu of the AC3, just to be sure another flash wasn't contributing to the exposure.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Mon 06-May-13 05:33 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Sorry for the late reply guys.

No ther was no other flashes involved. Actually once you put the AC3 on, there is no more room to attach any other flash.

I did turn the flex off and then back on. Just like the instructions suggested.

Thanks.

Bo

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 06-May-13 11:48 AM
#5. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 4

Powder Springs, US

Two thoughts here:

1. You have to turn the camera off too. Once you turn something in the chain off, you have to turn everything in the chain off and power up from the top down.

2. I know there was no flash on the AC3. Before using the AC3, were you using another flash as the commander?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Mon 06-May-13 02:30 PM
#6. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Scott.

I depowered everything downstream from the AC3 and then back up.

No there is no other flash involved in this scenario.

Bo

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Mon 06-May-13 02:30 PM
#7. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 0

US

One more piece of information. I notice that when I add the AC3 and press the shutter, the flash clearly comes on an instant BEFORE I hear the mirror flip open. It's only a fraction of a second but when you go back and forth with and without the AC3, there is clearly a difference.

And of course, everytime I add or remove the AC3 I turn off the Flex and the camera and then repower the Flex first and camera second.

Also, I re-tested this with the new firmware (3.172) and the result is the same.

Bo

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 06-May-13 03:44 PM
#8. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 06-May-13 07:44 PM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

That is CLT/CLS working. Before the mirror raises, a low power per-flash is fired which the camera meters to determine the power level required for the actual exposure. If that is not happening without the AC3, then something might be amiss. The AC3 is doing what you want it too.

At the top of this forum is a post dated Nov 2011 which Hal Becker made. It describes pre-flashes and the main fire command, the latter of which is not necessary for radio triggering. It is an excellent post.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=154&topic_id=38452&mesg_id=38452&page=

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Wed 08-May-13 10:44 PM
#9. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Certainly. But it should be the same regardless of whether the AC3 is on or not.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 12-May-13 08:52 PM
#10. "RE: Strange results when using a PocketWizard Flex with AC3"
In response to Reply # 7

Powder Springs, US

Bo, if you are still following,

>Also, I re-tested this with the new firmware (3.172) and the
>result is the same.

My Utility and their site says that 3.15 is still the latest, Did they give you a link to a beta version? That's what I'm thinking.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61358 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.