nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

PocketWizard TT1 / TT5 Hypersync with SB800 not working.

BoStruye

US
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011
Fri 03-May-13 05:18 AM

Since the PW TT5 firmware still does not work with the D600, I am using my D7000 with them. Today I went out to test the Hypersync feature outdoors which is supposed to allow you to sync at any speed. So I set up the camera in Program mode with everything set to default as described in Mark Wallace's excellent PW videos.

For the most part, everything worked as advertised. Flash fill was great. Interestingly, in this P mode, the camera was trying all it could to stay at 1/320 or below.

But when I set the camera to Aperture priority in order to choose a wide aperture, the speed went correspondingly higher and the flash simply would not fire at any speed above 1/320. I would have expected it to fire and maybe be faced with some XSync dark band or something like that, but the flash would simply not fire until I chose an narrower aperture which would drop the speed to 1/320 or less.

Any idea what might be happening there? The Flex and mini are supposedly automatically set to allow you to shoot way above 320...

My PW firmware is the latest which is 3.150 and the flashes are set to TTL as indicated by the instructions.

The PW web site is pretty confusing on the issue. Somewhere it mentions that "This works best in Manual mode". What does that mean "It works "best" ? Either it works or it doesn;t. And does that mean that it does not work in A or P mode?

I also got the impression from their site that using the AC3 with this setup would also help. I am curious as to why that would make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bo

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: PocketWizard TT1 / TT5 Hypersync with SB800 not wor...

G