Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61317
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 27-Apr-13 05:47 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"

Los Angeles, US

This old flash was left over from my film days. I was worried about electrical problems if used on my D7000. Can I safely use it?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?
MEMcD Moderator
27th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
27th Apr 2013
RBHJr
27th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
aolander Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
OldCodger
28th Apr 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
29th Apr 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 27-Apr-13 06:29 PM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Gary,

According to www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html the SB-16 has a sync voltage of 4.4V so it is safe to use on your D7000.
Keep in mind that you must use A (Non-TTL) Auto flash control or Manual flash control with the camera set in Manual ISO and Manual exposure mode for the most consistant results.

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 27-Apr-13 07:24 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

After I posted this thread I telephoned the camera store that sold me my D7000. They informed me that it was not safe to use. He named a more current film speedlight that is safe. I believe he said an SB-24.

Thanks for the info. I will bookmark it for future reference.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 27-Apr-13 10:55 PM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Gary,

The SB-24 like every Nikon Speedlight made in the last 30 plus years is safe to use on your D7000 or any other Nikon DSLR.

Keep in mind that the SB-24 can only be used in AA (Non-TTL) Auto flash control mode and Manual flash control mode when mounted on your D7000 or any other Nikon DSLR. Again for the most consistant results the camera should be in Manual ISO and Manual exposure mode.

Film TTL flash control, D-TTL flash control, and i-TTL flash control are different and not compatible with each other. The SB-600 and SB-800 are i-TTL Speedlights that are backwards compatible with both D-TTL and Film TTL flash control. The SB-__DX Speedlights support both D-TTL and film-TTL flash control. The D1 and D2 series bodies support i-TTL flash control and are backwards compatible to D-TTL flash control. None of the current bodies or Speedlights are backwards compatible.

Best Regards,
Marty

RBHJr Registered since 26th Mar 2013Sat 27-Apr-13 08:32 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>This old flash was left over from my film days. I was worried
>about electrical problems if used on my D7000. Can I safely
>use it?

According to the my D7000 manual, page 278, if your SB-16 is a "B" model, it should work fine. However, only in non-TTL auto, manual and REAR curtain modes. Also, REAR curtain needs to be set in the camera.

I use my old SB-28 with my D7K and it works pretty well... with the same limitations.

However, if you have any doubts, I would check with Nikon before attaching the flash to your camera.

--Ron

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 27-Apr-13 09:06 PM
#4. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

How can I tell only by looking at the unit if it is a B model or not. I've got this thing for sale on eBay and don't want to mislead a buyer and then have him fry is camera.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 27-Apr-13 09:44 PM
3259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 27-Apr-13 09:44 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The SB-16A/B are the same flash. The A has the base/foot that fits the F3 (film camera) hotshoe. The B has the regular foot. The D300 manual lists the SB-16B as a useable flash. Shouldn't be any different than the D7000. The camera store was just trying to sell you a flash.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/flash/sb16ab/manual/

Alan

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 27-Apr-13 10:17 PM
#6. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 27-Apr-13 10:18 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Understood on the various models. My unit would require that little shoe adaptor that straddles the rewind knob of a Nikon film body.

About the salesman. He sold me most of my gear. And knows I already have 3 SB units for my D7000. He sold me two of them. I prefaced my question by telling him it was going on eBay and I didn't want to mislead the buyer.

Aside from that, I am the 'connection' for this guy with Cuban cigars. I get them legally from Switzerland, and always bring a few samples to him. He must get real tired talking about cameras, but his eyes tear up when discussing good Cubans. Seriously.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 28-Apr-13 05:16 PM
580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

Yes I have used my SB16 many times, often as a 'driver' to fire off other non-compatible units via optical flash controllers. All of this kit was 'left over from film days', along with a collection of bodies and lenses, (and too much other stuff to remember!)
Richard

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 03:18 PM
3096 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Can an SB-16 be used on a DSLR Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Understood on the various models. My unit would require that
>little shoe adaptor that straddles the rewind knob of a Nikon
>film body.
>

That little shoe adapter is what allows the flash to fire. It contains the flash contacts. The F, F2 and F3 have their flash contacts at the base of the rewind knob. DSLR cameras have their flash contacts in the accessory shoe. You would be best to forget about using your SB16. It won't work. Get a flash designed for the shoe.

Len

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61317 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.